Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Putting two tanks together?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.11(Wed)11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only had experience with right-angled triangle tanks, and in all cases glass edges where not cut at angels.

There are defiantly ways to in prove glasses strength (load bearing capacity) throe construction methods, ways of bracing, silicon surface extension and so on.

A triangular tank can be very interesting, but considering the aspects (deeper (width) you are looking for in a tank, I feel you will not be totally satisfied with a triangular tank.
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.11(Wed)11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscer, where have you seen how to improve the strength of the glass? And what type of bracing are you talking about?
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.12(Thu)13:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
where have you seen how to improve the strength of the glass?

Do you imply this sarcastically or are you realy interested Question

Bracing, well, you get corner bracing, which is normally done as one with your length and breath bracing. Then you get the "strap" bracing right across the tank, and the same in the bottom. By bracing the bottom you are also extending the surface that silicon can be applied to, so stronger holed of side panels.
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.12(Thu)22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not sarcastically! I could have been clearer, my apologies. There's no inflection in text, huh?! I honestly know very little about how to build a tank. And from what I've read so far, I was under the impression that the sides from my 55 are too thin. Then, you mentioned braceing and I now think that there's still a chance. That's all.

So, what material would I use and how would you go about applying corner or strap bracing. I'm not really familiar with those methods(?). I guess if I could somehow see what you're talking about I would understand it better.

Thank you for your help.
Lord Steve0
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.14(Sat)8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would definately need some sort of braces across the top of the tank if it was going to be 4 foot wide.
With your starting tanks, the 55G ones there is no brace. But with those tanks the volume of water behind the glass is less. On your 4x4 tank you've got 4x the water volume, that's 4x (at least) the stress on the glass. Given it's not built to hold back 200G of water it would probably break. Your 4x4 tank would weigh nearly 3/4 of a tonne when full, not including the weight of stones sand etc. That is a huge ammount of weight and force on very thin glass.

From what I understand, a corner brace would simply be a triangular piece of glass, placed into the corner of the tank. You would have one at the bottom, and probably one at the top. It would increase the amount of connection between two sides of the square.
As far as a brace all the way over goes, well you'd need one going each way on the bottom (a cross shape).
I doubt you'd want such a set up on the top, it would make it look ugly. But you could possibly have a rim, built all the way round the top of the tank that would do the same thing. This would need to be something strong, metal probably, to stop the long side bowing out under the weight of the water.
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.15(Sun)0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lord Steve0 for explaining the braces. You know, I don't really think that I am going to try this one anymore. After learning a bit here and there, I think my glass is too thin and it will be better to buy a larger tank already built! My gosh, why do they have to cost so much though?! Confused
Lord Steve0
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.15(Sun)12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea is really cool I think. It would be good if it worked out for you. I'm no expert on building such things, but that is how most big tanks are built and it's certainly how I'd do it.

I think the glass would be too thin in reality but just imagine a 4x4 tank!
You could fit some pretty big fish in there.
And you would have some really good options for a set up there too.
I would love to see such a tank set up with the heater, filter etc set up in the very centre of the tank. You could build some solid landscaping rond them to disguise them and then each side of the tank would almost be like a seperate tank. That would look very nice I think.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.16(Mon)14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackjack06, sorry if I gave you the wrong impression. You can improve the glasses strength (load bearing capacity), but when considering what you wish to do; I think that's asking a lot, personally I wouldn't take the risk.

Lord Steve0, wrote:
Quote:
From what I understand, a corner brace would simply be a triangular piece of glass, placed into the corner of the tank. You would have one at the bottom, and probably one at the top. It would increase the amount of connection between two sides of the square.
As far as a brace all the way over goes, well you'd need one going each way on the bottom (a cross shape).
I doubt you'd want such a set up on the top, it would make it look ugly. But you could possibly have a rim, built all the way round the top of the tank that would do the same thing. This would need to be something strong, metal probably, to stop the long side bowing out under the weight of the water.

And I think this sums up the basics of bracing quite enlighteningly

At my local seafood restaurant, they have a 3x3x3 Marine tank, and it looks amazing and it's not even fully stoked yet. If I could only convince them to get more corals
Lord Steve0
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.16(Mon)16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tank this size would really be something to be proud of though. It should be a centerpiece for a room and should be really well stocked and laid out.

Makes me wish I had the money, time and space!
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.17(Tue)7:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it would be amazing Very Happy

Blackjack06, do you still plan to constructing a tank Question
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to: