Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Putting two tanks together?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Alexperez
Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.08(Sun)19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out thses site you should be able to find out how thick the glass needs to be.

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/aquariumdiy/l/blcustomtank.htm

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/articles/technical/glassthickness/
6G Shrimp only,CO2, 14W AHS.
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.08(Sun)21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you are not creating a tank twice the size, but rather a tank four times the size of a 55G...the 4 foot square tank would be approximately 200 gallons not 110 gallons...the current 55G has 12 inch sides, so you are quadrupling the length of the sides. It will take a heck of a room to hold a 4 by 4 foot tank, not to mention it will weigh about a ton. (around 2000 lbs)
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.08(Sun)21:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, somehow that works but somehow it doesn't... you get the 4x4 tank and it works, but you get 2 55 gallon tanks and it adds up to 110 gallons. I don't think that it would be a problem to keep as long as you had an empty corner or something.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.08(Sun)21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael L. wrote:
Steve, somehow that works but somehow it doesn't... you get the 4x4 tank and it works, but you get 2 55 gallon tanks and it adds up to 110 gallons.

Yes, but thats not what is happening...two 55g tanks aren't being put together. He wants to use the two four foot sides from each of his 55 gallon tanks...no matter how you look at it, it then becomes a 4 foot square tank. The only way you get 110 gallons is to butt them together and make an 8 foot long tank...though that would never work in reality.

Quote:
I don't think that it would be a problem to keep as long as you had an empty corner or something.

Really? Personally if I stand at the side of a 55 gallon tank I find reaching to the other side four foot away to be basically impossible. In order to reach all areas of the tank you'd have to have access to all four sides...or at least three sides. Not an impossible proposition but placing a 4 foot square tank with access to at least three sides does require a large amount of floor space. It's that four foot reach that makes is difficult.
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.08(Sun)23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Hampton wrote:
The only way you get 110 gallons is to butt them together and make an 8 foot long tank...though that would never work in reality.

There would also be the option of connecting them along the larger direction, leading to a 110 G that's the same length but twice the width of 55 G.

But I totally agree with Steve that making a square 4x4 ft. tank out of two 55 G's could be quite a pain to maintain even if you have access from all sides.

An interesting option would be to use 3 of the larger panels and make a *triangular* tank. Assuming you just put them together without any cutting and that I just did the math correctly, the final tank would be an awesome 88 G with pretty good access. However, the 60

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.09(Mon)10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say 0.4in/10mm glass (not tempered) should do, but what are your dimensions Question

Your braces should be 5cm/2in wide and preferably of 0.4in/10mm glass or thicker.
What is the thickness of the glass of the 55g Question

If you do embark on this project then remember, over building is better than under building Very Happy
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.09(Mon)20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dimensions are roughly 48"L x 20"H x 13"W. The thickness of the glass sides are about 3/16 of an inch.

I have the space available for a tank that size. That's not an issue.

What type of braces are you talking about? Ones that go on top or some sort of rim like the factory black plastic at the top and bottom and what sort of material?
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.09(Mon)21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea got ahead of my mind! Steve Hampton is right. It would be an aprox. 200 gallon tank. 48" x 48" x 20" =46080 cubic inches. Then, multiply by .00433 to get 199.5264 gallons.

Those links were pretty good too. They basically said that I would need glass that is about 6-9mm (0.2358-0.3537in) thick. What I measured on my tanks were aprox. 3/16=0.1875 inches thick. So, going off what those sites say, my glass would not be thick enough to handle the pressure of 200gal.

If I did want to make a triangular shaped tank instead of cube, would I obviously then need to cut the edges of the glass or will silicone hold them together at that angle?
michael_kaysen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.09(Mon)22:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

My concern, though I admittedly know less than nothing about this sort of thing, would be the that as aquariums get larger, the glass gets thicker to support the weight. With this project, you would be doubling the amount of water, and thus the amount of weight, without increasing the thickness of the glass at all. I don't know if that's relevant...it's just something that struck me. Good luck! Very Happy
blackjack06
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.09(Mon)22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is a concern. Unfortunately this topic got posted in two areas; here and in chemistry and equipment. Interesting two different conversations about the same subject... However, in the other section, that is one concern we just talked about and there are a couple of very good links to use in determining the thickness of the glass needed. For a 200 gallon tank, I would need (according to the links) aprox. 6-9mm thick glass for that size. Unlike what my 55's have which is only about 4.7-5mm thickness.

Another idea posted on the section was making it a triangle shape vs. the cube shape. Don't get me wrong, I like that idea and think that it would look quite interesting. However, like you I don't have much experience in building tanks and so I can only apply the common sense factor. I would imagine that I would have to cut the edges at an angle to get them to butt together well enough in order to be able to glue it properly. Also, I would need to get a bottom plane specially cut to fit.

So... I believe I will just have to save and purchase a larger tank. What I really want is a deeper (width) tank to fit better/more rock formations and still have ample room for the fish.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to: