Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Can I use SAND as substrate? How to convert?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
T5Chris
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.03(Sun)21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silica Sand warning:

Although the chance for this to happen is extremely low, and requires frequent exposure--typically applying to only construction workers, I thought I should mention this at least somewhere in the thread.

Inhalation of Crystalline Silica particles (dust) in this Sand(usually 90-99% silica) leads to about 250-300 deaths each year. It is strongly linked to be a carcinogen by the us,aus, and other governmental departments of labor, and can cause a severe lung problem known as silicosis or risk of tb depending on exposure.

Just remember to avoid inhalation wherever possible.
Livebearer101
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.02.01(Wed)15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about silcia gravel?

I just bought a bag of the stuff and there's no warning of major death risks...
Scales
Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.28(Tue)5:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just setting up my latest tank, 300litre with a sand base, I have put the 'Sera' plant base in first and covered with sand. Will let you know how it goes. Rolling Eyes
fotbr
Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.04(Thu)18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

T5Chris wrote:
Silica Sand warning:

Although the chance for this to happen is extremely low, and requires frequent exposure--typically applying to only construction workers, I thought I should mention this at least somewhere in the thread.

Inhalation of Crystalline Silica particles (dust) in this Sand(usually 90-99% silica) leads to about 250-300 deaths each year. It is strongly linked to be a carcinogen by the us,aus, and other governmental departments of labor, and can cause a severe lung problem known as silicosis or risk of tb depending on exposure.

Just remember to avoid inhalation wherever possible.

This shouldn't be a problem for most people doing sand substrates, but if you're concerned, there's a couple of very easy ways you can deal with it:

1) Wear a mask. They're cheap and readily available from Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

2) Cut corner of bag, insert hose, begin rinsing your sand before you pour it out. Wet sand doesn't produce airborne dust.

For another hobby of mine I use a lot of VERY fine grain 99.9% silica sand, and use method 2: just keeping the sand wet before/while working with it, and have never had a dust problem.
falconblack
Members

PostPosted: 2006.06.03(Sat)0:34    Post subject: silica sand Reply with quote

I just setup my 90 gallon tank using 80lbs. of eco-complete and 100lbs. of black course silica sand.I use a fluval 405 canister filter with intake 3" above sand(7.5centimeters) nad planted it today.I could only get a few plants at my local fish store so will plant the rest when available.So far I got 4 cabomba bunches and 1 amazon sword.I plan to move my cichlids from my 25 gallon to the 90.I have 2 cockatoo apistos,2 blue rams,1 dwarf flag and 2 clown loaches oh and my boys have 1 male beta.I am sure they will love the new tank when it cycles in about 6 weeks.I also made a light system for it using 6-54watt 6500K t5 lights and a specular aluminum shade for the housing with 2 3"fans to remove any heat buildup from the lights.I can't wait for it to grow now nad cycle so I can add my fish. Cool
macika
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.07.22(Sat)18:58    Post subject: So Reply with quote

Now is the sand good or not???? I've heard plants love it. Is that true??? And if I'd decide to buy sand what "kind of" sand should I buy?? I am waiting for your reply!!!!!
J_Tang
Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.22(Tue)18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

where can I get a variety of sand???....
I want to get wither the black sand, chacoal grey, or the silver sand.... but are they coarse or soft? I plan to keep cories with the sand
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
carolyn78
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.11(Mon)17:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowes has it for about 2.50$ for a 50 pound bag. Or any hardware store. Use playsand, they keep it all year for kitty litter or car oil. But You have to wash it really good before using it. I put mine in a bucket then using gloves ran my hand threw it. Keep washing until the water runs clean or at least close. I use gloves because it is hard on your nails. They will split, being sand is really coarse. I do have to rinse my filter out every now and then. It will stop, from sand getting caught in there. Mostly when you clean and stir it up some.
Serkan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.30(Sat)4:50    Post subject: Re: cheap sand Reply with quote

hle_81 wrote:
where is the cheapest place to get sand?

The beach.
Whiteraven
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.16(Fri)17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about using sand and river rock (pebbles)? If you put the rock in the area of the filter and the sand in the other part of the tank, would that work? That would look kinda neat. I would eventully like to get an Imperial pleco and I read they prefer sand to rock.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to: