Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Did you just get an aquarium as a gift? READ THIS.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Moni
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)9:26    Post subject: how to modify filter? Reply with quote

"If your gift aquarium includes ONLY a filter that hangs on the back of your aquarium, then you probably need to modify the filter. Ask us how!"

Okay. I'm asking. Confused I do have just a Whisper hanging filter on one of my tanks that takes the replaceable cartridges and does not have the foam or wheel in it to keep a steady biofilter going all the time. How can I modify it? I'm not really "new" to the hobby but I still have a lot lo learn.
Thanks in advance
Moni
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd tuck some biomax ceramic cylinders in behind the cartridge (aquaclear sells them in separate packs), so that the biomax is the last thing the water flows through. Some people add filter floss or a sponge before the cartridge, as well. Depends on how much wasted space there is inside the filter.
Moni
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)12:53    Post subject: do they need to be changed? Reply with quote

I knew about sponges because my Whisper internal filters have them. I was thinking about buying an extra sponge that goes in one of them and fitting it in this outside filter. It does look like there is room in there. I've never heard of those ceramic things except they look like something from a wet dry filter in a marine tank. Must be good stuff Wink Would the biomax or sponges ever need to be replaced or should I just leave then in there forever because of the good bacteria they house? I'm guessing they might take a little rinse in the pail of aquarium water occasionally.
Moni
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.26(Fri)13:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just rinse my biomax. Normally I just rinse the sponge, too, but they do sometimes degrade over time. If the sponge starts to look pathetic (takes a year or more, usually), then replace.
NJTetra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.11.07(Wed)12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

One basic question I get asked a lot by people who are trying to keep fish for the first time is:

Q) How long do I wait before adding the fish I bought at the LFS, to my tank.

A) When I bring home a new bag o fish, I have two rules I go by.

1) NEVER place the fish right into your tank upon arriving home. Take the bag the fish came in, rinse it in your sink if you like to make sure its free of any debris, and place it into the water of your tank for an hour. This will allow the water in the bag to warm to the temp of the water in your tank

2) NEVER introduce the water from the bag, into your aquarium. As with anything and everything, introducing it into your tank by releasing the fish with the water, could potentially contaminate your tank water and eventually kill the fish & invertibrates in your tank. Instead, after waiting the alotted time, gently pour the water from the bag through your fish net and into a bucket. When your fish come out of the bag, they drop gently into your net, which you can easily place into your tank, and then use the bucket to discard the water the fish came in.

~NJTetra~
o0Panic0o
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.08.12(Tue)1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had like 4 guppies in a small tank.. thinking a 1 gallon, but that sounds to small. (this was when I was little) I had the filter that suctioncuped to the side. and ALWAYS the guppies died. was it because of the filter suctioncuped thinger being cheap, or sucha a small tank?
keeno
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.08.12(Tue)2:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably both.
LadySphinx
Members

PostPosted: 2009.01.05(Mon)9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay after reading this I feel like a fish killer. I did a lot wrong and that explains of my fish died in the 6-8 months I have had my tank. I'm also glad I found this sit as I'm planning on getting a bigger tank 6 ft to be exact. The fish I have now grow to big for my tank and the fish I want the only little gritter that is'nt too big is Bono my Borneo sucker, I think I'll stock my 2ft fish tank with neon tetra and some dineos once I have the 6ft
59FIFTY
Regulars

PostPosted: 2009.08.22(Sat)2:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not "new" to the hobby but in january I get a new tank so I have decided to donate my fish to friends and totally start over but
SOME OF MY FISH ARE TOO LARGE FOR MY FRIENDS I GALLON TANKS SO WOULD MY LFS TAKE THEM FOR NO CHARGE???but the tips will definately help me with my new tank tahnk you so much
don clark
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.10.14(Fri)6:47    Post subject: modifying filters Reply with quote

great article, I have been feeding 3 times daily, fish love it , but I guess ill cut back based on your recommendation, also I have a 10 gal tank with a hanging aquatech filter which uses a replaceable cartridge and a permanent biofiber element, how do I modify it I assume you mean going to a sponge.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: