Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Did you just get an aquarium as a gift? READ THIS.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
gouranimo
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.09(Thu)17:10    Post subject: 45gallon(uk) tank for christmas, just need some advice Reply with quote

firstly...hi! Razz

I got my tank for christmas and I cycled it and everything working perfectly

Q1-snails, will they breed,and is it a good idea ?

Q2-platys,how long till they conceive?

Q3-I have water weed and 1 other type of real plant in my tank should I replant cutting off water weed(grows really quick) or just chuck them?

and finallyQ4-how do I tell if a gold gourami is full of eggs ( I think 1 of mine is, repeatedly chased by male)? Wink
iwander71
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.21(Mon)22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the brilliant string Mark. I started researching about this hobby last winter. Here I am, mid-August and I am feeling confident enough to start. I have read what seems to be endless material and articles, (including a lot from this fabulous site) and just wanted to thank you for your thoughtful advice.
I am thinking that I will start with a tank roughly 20 to 30 USgallons. This way, my son and I can learn from the fun and eventually work up to something a bit bigger. I do love the idea of something like 90-125 USgallons... Mr. Green
I have this vision of a main tank, linked to a smaller tank through external filters and/or pumps. I am imagining that the seperate tank might be good for water changes, and possible breeding. It could also be used, through isolation of the tanks from each other for treatment of sick fish?? interesting idea?.. or waste of time and money?
Another big thing for my hobby is the power in my basement suite. Not many of the plug-ins have grounds, and the ones that do I doubt work. I am also worried about surges, brown outs, and black outs... Are there any products out there that address power issues for aquahobbiests?
Sorry if I have gone on a bit...bye for now
firemouthconvict
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.09.19(Tue)10:59    Post subject: Hit the nail on the head... Reply with quote

That thread is my life story; I have a 10-gal starter kit that is over-populated by cichlids. (I now know that this is a bad situation Sad ) I was wondering if you had any suggestions about a good aquarium, environment and good retailers I could try again with. My fish need a new home, and I intend to make it right. (Population: 3 convict cichlids, 1 firemouth, 1 small algae eater) Thanks much!
~FC
Marissa
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.17(Tue)23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I know you are anxious to increase your population but take it slowwly by readingd the forums you'll find out of diversse beatiful fish that you can add later, I am currently cyclying a 48 gallon tank and I wish I did not had that many fish, all my readings are fine except my nitrates they are really high. I had to transfer two of my black skirt tetras to my 10 gallon because they were showing sings of stress so definately wait until your nitrates and ammonia read zero to add any new fish.
menagerie mom wrote:
I'm in the same situation - have a 20 gallon, and just got a 55 gallon. I will keep the 20 gallon as is, and know to take the filter, a handfull of gravel, and some water from it to put in the new tank. How long should I wait before adding fish, or should I put them in immediately to feed the bacteria? Should I add just a few at a time to let the bacteria growth catch up? I'm anxious to set it up, but I need to research which fish I want. So exciting - the possiblilities! Very Happy
Smile
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.10.18(Wed)0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehe welcome to the board Marissa, but you should pay attention to the post dates before replying to them...menagerie mom posted that in December 2005, she's a Regular here now and her tanks are doing pretty well Wink

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Marissa
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.18(Wed)10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I didn't think about it!
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.18(Mon)15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

5) If your gift aquarium includes ONLY a filter that hangs on the back of your aquarium, then you probably need to modify the filter. Ask us how!

Out of my noobness I am asking what I need to do. I am using a topfin(I think) outside box power filter for my 10 gallon tank.
myhamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.19(Tue)3:57    Post subject: My (horrible) first fish story Reply with quote

When I was in elementary school, I had a 10 gal tank. Every weekend, me and my brother would syphon half the water out, remove the fish and put it in a container we use for laundry, and then suck the rest of the water out.

Then we use some tap water, swish the gravel in the 10 gal around for a little bit, then fill the tank with treated water and boiled water to make the temp right, then put the fish back in. Often, I would put my hand in the tank and realize how ice cold the water is.

Lucky for us, they were Platties.

Yuk, so much work, and bad for fish too. I have a 55 gallon now, and I'm cycling it. After the new year, I'll put in the first occupants - amano shrimps.
kskipper
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.31(Sun)17:02    Post subject: Question about modifing a filter Reply with quote

from the starting message on this thread...
5) If your gift aquarium includes ONLY a filter that hangs on the back of your aquarium, then you probably need to modify the filter. Ask us how! The exception is: if your hang on filter has a sponge inside of it, or if it has a gray colored wheel that spins, then you are in good shape! Ask us how and when to clean the sponge and/or wheel!

Okay, so I have a TopFin filter that hangs on the back of the aquarium and it doesn't have a gray colored wheel that I can see or a sponge.

What modifications do you suggest and why?

kskipper
rainbowbrat23
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

haname wrote:

If you're just going to transfer your fish over, all you need to do is set up your new tank the way you want, decorate, fill with fresh, dechlorinated water, start the filter and everything, then put your old filter on the tank as well. Don't clean the old filter. If you plan on using your old gravel, put it on top of the new gravel. Get the temperature right in your new tank, and introduce your fish to the new tank the same way you do when acclimating new fish to your aquarium.

Let both filters run together on the new tank for a month or so before removing it.

Would this be the same way you would do it with a betta?

I just got a 35 gallon tank, and want to add fishes to it with my daughters Betta. Should I add the new fish first, then the betta (his name is Bate BTW) or should I add him firest then the fish?

Do you think it would be OK to add Bate to a community tank after being alone in the 10 gallon for 6 months?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: