Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Did you just get an aquarium as a gift? READ THIS.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Higgy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.12.27(Tue)8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are planning on taking the old tank down you could also take some of the gravel and put it inside a sock or panty hose stocking (preferably new, cheap ones you don't mind throwing away) and that will help some of the established bacteria from your old substrate without actually having to permanently leave it. Of course if you are going to use the same substrate in the new one it doesn't really matter.
Barb Sol
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.12.30(Fri)15:29    Post subject: New tanks set ups Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm a newbie to the list and to fishkeeping in general so may have the occasional questions. Wish we had spell checker here <sigh>.
For starters I have to say that this is a very timely article. My own 20 gal tank is doing just fine but then I adopted it from some friends as an already long term operating aquarium. We just moved it to my house (Nov) and kept the system pretty much intact.
But here is my situation. I have a disabled friend who was given one of those 1 gal table top tanks (with no filtration, heat is a lightbulb, and it has a bubbler) 5 or 6 months ago. The tank was already in use at that time. Its just nasty and we feel so sorry for the fish who have been living in there for who knows how long. (year+) There are 3 phantom tetra's and 3 neons. I've done a couple partial water changes but that just stirs up so much gucky stuff its like a cloud of muck floating around. Amazingly enough the fish are alive and seem healthy enough.
So here's the deal. We bought a 10 gal starter kit tank yesterday. I have it set up and running, sans fish. We really don't want to wait long to transfer the fish. I'll be able to go back to his place in a couple of days and we want to transfer the fish then. If I take the gravel out of the old tank by hand and sort of swirl it around in the old water as I pull it out and then lay it on top of the new gravel in the new tank will this work for the biosystem to set up in the new tank? I really don't want to transfer much of the nasty slimy stuff if I can help it. Oh yes, I have put a little stress coat in the nasty tank and will add it to the new tank when I transfer them over.
After all this we would really hate to kill them with kindness. <G>
We know to wait probably 3 weeks to add any new fish. Any other suggestions?
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.12.30(Fri)20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Barb sol,

Welcome to the hobby and to the forums! I also appreciate that you are helping your friend upgrade his aquarium.

The best thing you can do is add all the mucky slimy stuff. It's because of this stuff that the fish are healthy in spite of being in less-than-ideal conditions. It will very quickly settle in the gravel and be taken up by the filter, and will supply the system with all the bacteria necessary to sustain the current fish with no problem.

~Haname
Barb Sol
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.12.30(Fri)21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Haname,
I do understand about keeping the nasty stuff intact but its maybe a years worth of fish poop. Gack!
I went to the dollar store and bought a pack of knee high nylons. I think the idea of putting the gravel with the gross stuff included into the nylon sock is probably the ticket to solving my reluctance to put that much solid waste polution into a nice sparkling clean tank . It sounds like a good option to me anyway. What do you think?

Thanks for the advice
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.12.30(Fri)22:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bacteria acts on the solid waste and transforms it into 'mulm.' It's more like compost than fish poop, but if it really bothers you, of course you can do the nylon stocking thing if you prefer.

~Haname
EndlersMom
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.01.02(Mon)12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mark for such a great topic and the tips.

I especially like the part to ask questions before buying the fish.

Congratulations to all of you who received tanks this Christmas.

brarthur,

I have a 44gal pentagon from Perfecto. The long sides are 2 feet long the short side about a foot long and the tank is just over 24 inches tall. I have had trouble growing plants in this tank. To the exixting 13W, I have added a 13W "PL" bulb that was part of an office lamp I was not using. With this set up the Dwarf Bacopa (Bacopa monnieri) and Limnophila aquatica. I have stuck suction cups to the side and put in elodea and hornwort, as not to shade the plants at the bottom. The giant val is now growing. If it were not for the type of fish my family wanted, I would have set it up as an African cichlid tank with lots of rocks and very little plants. I have seen a breeding pair of angels housed in this type of tank. They do very well and easily breed. I think there was one floating plant and plastic plants in it.

bluepixie,
What kind of pelco do you parents have. A common pelco will out grow the 30 gal.

Barb Sol
The mulm will help the plants right away. Think of it as fertilizer. A cup for every 10 gals of tank is enough. (Not including the water, whatever settles to the bottom of a pail.)
bluepixie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.02(Mon)22:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my best guesses, my parents' pleco is the sort listed as a "spotted hypostemus" on this site... Pretty much a carbon copy of the photograph on the first page of that species' gallery entry. He's about 13cm long from nose to tail and seven years old. He's definitely outgrown the 10 gallon he lives in currently, so my hope is that I can provide him with better living conditions in the 29 gal until he gets too big for that, if that happens.

I'm extremely fond of him, as is my mother, but my father is looking to downsize the menagerie. I'm hoping he'll take the move well, once my tank here is cycled. I have a large piece of driftwood, plenty of hiding spaces, and plan to add hardy plants sometime this week. To be honest, if he was the only fish I could have in the tank, I'd be okay with that... but I'm hoping to add a pair of kribs sometime later, once we see how mr. pleco does.
Nathaniels Dad
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.03(Tue)0:42    Post subject: High pH Reply with quote

Hi there - great site and this thread's a real good idea.

We bought my son a 30 Litre BiOrb for Christmas (that's 6.5 UK or 8 US gallons I believe), which we gave him before Christmas to allow time to set it up and run it without fish for a week, then added 4 White Cloud Mountain Minnows. The tank is running at around 23 degrees C (73.5 F).
Advice I've received is to change 4 litres of water of water every 3 days for the first month and not to add any more fish until then, and only if water quality is OK. I've also got a water testing kit, which we used first time yesterday when we did first water change. It's better than I expected on Ammonia (tiny amount only) but I guess early yet, but pH levels are 8.4 (had to use the high pH test as we were off the limits of the normal pH test). This is way above the pH level of the water that went into the tank (after the result we checked it and got a result of 7.4). Is this normal in a new tank or have we got a problem, and if so is it urgent to address or something that can be monitored and addressed later if needbe?
Love the Mountain Minnows incidently, after first couple of hours when they appeared a little unhappy at the change of home (3 swam on the spot in formation at the top of the tank, 1 hid at the bottom) they've really settled well and been very active quite a bit of the time. Would the early behaviour have anything to do with the high pH?

Hope someone can help with this!
Nathaniels Dad
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.05(Thu)14:47    Post subject: pH up further Reply with quote

now getting pH of 8.6 ... fish still seem happy, even more active than previously ...
Danny M
Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.13(Fri)2:33    Post subject: Filter Reply with quote

Hello this is Danny M I was just wondering about the filter mine is a powerhead 6w 400 l/h I'm not sure if it has a sponge or a wheel in it and I've got a 30 litre tank I think that is 4 gallon or something and it has 4 neon tetras 1 red Tailed Black shark 2 little angel fish (which ill move to the 180 litre tank) 1 flame gourami 2 snails and another fish I don't know its name but it grows upto 8cm I asked at the pet store is this OK or should I shift some out and the water in bothe tank is exactly the same temprature pH and all so they want die if I move them.

Thank You

Please Write Me a personal message

Danny M
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: