Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Overfeeding???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
no 1 cool dude
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.12.28(Wed)14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I miscounted, there were 13 neons I bought yesterday and I can only see 7 of them today Shocked . They will be either hiding or maybe eaten Crying or Very sad
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.12.28(Wed)16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could they fit into any of the other fishes mouths Question
no 1 cool dude
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.12.28(Wed)16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Dwarf Gouramies were looking at them in a funny way and I found one of my Shubunkins (he is blind in one eye) chasing one of my neons but it hid in one of my plants and the Shubunkin waited for a minute and then swam away. The Dwarfs are 7 cm and the Shubunkins are about 13 cm. There was a deal at my LFS and they were selling 10 Neons (various sizes) for
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.12.28(Wed)16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dose he look remotely like this? This is my CAE, in my African Cichlid tank, not the bets pic of him. Yes, Chinese Algae Eaters stick to the sides of the tank like Otos and Plecos, and eat algae. They get a bit aggressive to my Cory cats and rams, but I don't think they'll eat even a dead Neon.

Dwarf Gouramies and Neons are often housed in the same tank, but if the size deference is realy big they would probably eat the Neons.

What about the Kissing Gouramies.

Don't worry about the $, I live in South Africa and we use Rand so
no 1 cool dude
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.12.29(Thu)2:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what it looks like, yeah it's definately a CAE. Sad news this morning, out of the 13 neons I bought a couple of days ago I can only see 3 and one is floating half chewed at the top Evil or Very Mad . I don't know which fish did it, probably the Dwarfs. The Kissers are OK, they occasionally chase each other but one stays at one side of the tank and the other stays at the other side. This may be a silly question but if I buy something like 30 neons will it be OK as they are in a tighter schoal or will I end up with more dead neons?
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.12.29(Thu)12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes the tighter shoal is what keeps them alive in nature, now I'm talking thousands and I mean if one goes missing it's no big deal. But in a tank it's not at all the same, firstly you have fish from all over the world, secondly they are all in a small space, compared to nature, so it's easer to grab a neon.

So yes, your idea might work, but not with 30 neons, try a 100 to 150, and you'll still have losses. So IMO it's better to take the Dwarfs back to your LFS or just remove them from the tank for a while to see if they are the culprits, if you wish to keep neons.
no 1 cool dude
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.12.29(Thu)13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to go to my LFS tomorrow and I'm going to buy 20 Large Glowlights, 2 Fancy Guppys and a Peppered Cory. The pink kissing fish is now chasing the marbled kisser about so they must be playing.

PS: What do you mean when you type IMO?

Thanks for your replies
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.12.29(Thu)13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you plan on getting only male guppies, or do you plan on breeding Question

PS: IMO means In My Opinion
IMHO means In My Humble Opinion
no 1 cool dude
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.12.31(Sat)9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at my LFS today and I bought 10 Large Glowlight Tetras, 3 Fancy Guppys (Males) and 2 small Clown Loaches. I got 2 orange and 1 yellow Guppys. The Clown Loaches are beautiful. I don't plan on breeding any fish in the near future.
Ilyena
Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.01(Sun)6:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not that great on telling when tanks are overstocked but it sounds to me like you are on the edge of overstocking yours as these fish grow up so you should watch out for that. The kissing gouramis and the clown loaches can all grow up to a foot long and the shubunkins average 10 inches. I'm also not sure about that algae eater. If it's really a true chinese algae eater and not a siamese or an otto it can also grow up to 10-12 inches and will get aggressive as it matures.

Goldfish and tropicals should by the way not be mixed due to different water requirements. IMHO I think you should decide which it is you want and find another home for either the tropicals or the shubunkins.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: