Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
growing goldfish
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Kristy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.11.29(Tue)15:55    Post subject: growing goldfish Reply with quote

I have been keeping aquariums for 4 years now. The problem I have is that I have never been able to put any size on my goldfish. They may live a long time, but never grow much bigger than when I buy them. My tanks are clean, pH and etc checked, and good filtration systems. I'm good at growing tropical fish, but still no luck with the goldfish. My grandmother kept a 5 gallon tank, usually dirty, and the filter half worked and she always grew huge fish!?! I'd appreciate any advice. Also, I've placed a heater in my tank keeping it about 73-74F. I know goldfish are coldwater, but then I've also read to keep the water 74+. Would this make any difference in growth? Thanks!
grapeape
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.29(Tue)18:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size tank are they in and what do you consider a "huge" goldfish? My comet is 12-14 inches and that is not rare for them
Kristy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.11.29(Tue)21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've kept them in a 30 and 20 gallon. For me to grow one 4 or 5 inches would be great. Just a nice, bigger sized fish. But if I buy a small one they just seem to stay pretty small. Thanks for your help.
grapeape
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.29(Tue)21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

in a 30 g you could have 2 at most. try feeding a wide variety of foods( flakes, pellets, blood worm, brine shrimp, peas etc) and keep the water clean and well oxygenated. For a treat mine love to have live crickets and lemons or bananas
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.12.02(Fri)13:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes live food makes a major deference, my fish's colour intensifies and they dart around the pond like crazy Very Happy
JWalk79
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.12.26(Mon)23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a great feeder goldfish I won at the local county fair years ago named Dizzy. I was young and so he lived in a little 1 gallon tank for a few years and got plenty of cheap generic flake food. Then he outgrew that tank and he lived in a 3 gallon that we had, eating his share of flake food again. Eventually he grew to about 13 inches long, nearly 2 lbs, and was living in our backyard pond. He lived for about 8 years as well and was the goofiest, smartest and hungriest fish I ever had. Other times I have spent a lot of money to get fancy exotic fish and they seem to stay small and die within a few months. I wish I knew the secrets to growing big fish but I think the most important is having a happy, healthy fish- no matter what size! Laughing
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.12.27(Tue)14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I wish I knew the secrets to growing big fish but I think the most important is having a happy, healthy fish- no matter what size! Laughing

Normally fish grow when they are happy and healthy.
Devs
Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.01(Sun)3:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of it really depends on the Fish Genetic's too,and the first 160 days of their life as to how big they'll grow,and how fast. I've had fish that were healthy and stayed small no matter how much room/clean water/good food. On the other hand,I had a chance to get some Oranda babies off a fellow member of a forum last year.These guys were tiny & under 12 weeks when I got them.A little over a year and a half later,my biggest is 9 inches big. Laughing There are just many factors in it all. Smile
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.01.02(Mon)4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a lot of it really depends on the Fish Genetics too, and the first 160 days of their life as to how big they'll grow, and how fast. I've had fish that were healthy and stayed small no matter how much room/clean water/good food.

I agree with Devs.

Some fish grow faster than others, but all grow, and some don't become as big as others; look at the sizes attained in nature by some spices, compared to the size they reach in captivity, same principal.

So, tyre a different LFS the, next time you purchase Gold fish, but for now just make sure your fish are happy and healthy. Very Happy
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.04(Wed)23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kristy: If you want larger fish, keep fewer as said before. I think 3 would work in a tank of that size. Food quality and water quality/amount also determines a lot. A warm pond in the summer time for me grows feeder goldfish like crazy. Fancy breeds probably grow slower as they have to use more energy to do things compared to common goldfish.
plus all kinds of smaller containers
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: