Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Dimmable Ballast for 4X96wt compact flor. (on one ballast?)
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
craton
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.11.18(Fri)22:49    Post subject: Dimmable Ballast for 4X96wt compact flor. (on one ballast?) Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm starting a 125gal planted discus tank and I am trying to find a ballast or ballasts to power 4X96watt compact fluorescent bulbs from AH Supply. I looked on ebay and I found a 440watt(capacity)dimmable ballast but I e-mailed the guy and he didn't really explain much. So, this is what I was wondering... is it possible to some how rig up the AH lights with the reflectors and such and have them powered with a single ballast. The ballast is a Ice Cap 660 Electronic VHO Ballast(Dimmable), I think this ballast is primarly used for saltwater lighting but it says is supports "readily available fluorescent lamps" and says it supports VHO and Std lamps. I you have had any experience with dimmable lighting set ups or have ANY suggustions it would be great... I really have very little idea of what I'm getting into.
Thanks,
Creighton
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.11.19(Sat)0:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an excellent ballast and yes it will fire compact flourescents. I am curious why you want to be able to dim it? You may also consider 2 icecap 430's so you can control each bank of 2 lamps instead of dimming them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
craton
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.11.19(Sat)1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I'd like to dim it is so that rather than having the light FLASH on all at once I thought it would be much more realistic to have it slowly fade
{but I guess even at low power it still produces the light in the same spectrum just less intense?} (maybe like a 30 min period [which I have no idea if this is even possible]
to simulate sunrise and sunset. I also would like to set up some lights to simulate moonlight so that I may view my pelcostomous in the nocturnal hours. Do you know where the cheapest place to get these balasts are, and possibly a timer/dimmer?
What do you think would better... one 660 or 2X430. An would I need to use any special "icecap" endcaps or can I just use any combination of parts to make a working fixture ( I don't think I do but just checking).
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.11.19(Sat)1:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never worried about the lights coming on suddenly. I have my timers set to come on after daylight so the fish already have light in the room. It will be cheaper to go with a single icecap 660 and I would definatley suggest you use waterproof endcaps. Don't cheap out with the endcaps, they get hot and you don't want a fire.

I ran 2-39 watt T5's on an icecap 440 and it overdrove the bulbs slightly and they got hot enough to melt heat resistant plastic bulb clips. Pc's don't use normal endcaps, but definately make sure you get good ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: