Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Will this work yes or no?
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.17(Thu)12:34    Post subject: Will this work yes or no? Reply with quote

OK thanks to Quaid I fininally got my co2 mixed right and working good. Now I have another question. I'm not sure this will even work but here it goes.

Would putting my in tank line and air stone (where the co2 bubbles comes out in the tank ) under the water pickup tube ( where the filter picksup water going to the filter ) for my flow filter help the co2 get into the water more?

R would it just remove more of the co2 when it enters back in the tank?

What would you thank the % of co2 lost would be

100%
75%
50%
25%

Are would it help it mix the co2 into the water more and if so what %?

100%
75%
50%
25%

Are is it just plane and simple not going to work?
Braydon2709
Members

PostPosted: 2005.11.17(Thu)14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi leslie

Quote:
Would putting my in tank line and air stone (where the co2 bubbles comes out in the tank ) under the water pickup tube ( where the filter picksup water going to the filter ) for my flow filter help the co2 get into the water more?

I'm not quite sure what your asking, but I think what you want to know is if you can dissolve your CO2 better by alowing the bubbles to enter your filter intake? I have a HOB filter and this is the method I use. Some people do not recomend this, they say it can wreck you filter. I have not had any problems with my filter and the CO2 dissolves quite well. Don't bother using the air stone, just cut the end of the tubing at an angle and use an elastic band to hold the tubing onto the inlet pipe. Make sure the end where the CO2 comes out is in the middle(up/down) of where the water goes into your filter. Your tubing does not have to go into the filter intake, just beside it. The water flowing past will cary the bubbles into it. My bubble rate is about 40 bubbles per minute and my CO2 level are above 15ppm. Make sure the water level in your tank is high enough so that water returning from your filter is not splashing around, just smooth ripples. Get all that and your laughing!

All this assumes that you are using a HOB filter. If you have a canister filter then I'm not sure if it will work, you may need a reactor.

Hope this helps Cool
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.17(Thu)15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats what I was talking about. I was thanking it mit work as it doesn't make a splash on the top of the water just a rolling wave look. So I didn't see why it wouldn't. I was just wondering if it takes away from the co2 any by doing it that way. or if it helps make it better.
Braydon2709
Members

PostPosted: 2005.11.17(Thu)16:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definately makes it better. The CO2 bubbles are chewed up by the filter impeller helping to dissolve them. Way more efficient then just bubbling the CO2 through an air stone. Easy enough to give it a try.
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.17(Thu)17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put it into a hole I put in the back of the intake tube skrean or cover. I can alredy tell a differnts in the way the bubbles arn't just floating to the top of the tank an not doing any thing.

Where as now they r making a lot of little bubbles in the out flowing water.
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.17(Thu)19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would this work with powerheads attached to a wet/dry filter. If so, does this mean that the filter will also distribute the CO2 to the rest of the tank? I apologize if that was a stupid question.
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.18(Fri)3:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT WOULD WORK IF THE CO2 TUBE WAS PALCED ON THE BACKSIDE of the filter in the return flow and on the wet side. I would thankand I'll tell you from what I've seen in just the short time mines been inthe filter. 100% better co2 covage throwoutthe tank and you can see the litle bubbles of the co2 being pushed throw out the water flow. in the tank
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.11.18(Fri)10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

CCS wrote:
Would this work with powerheads attached to a wet/dry filter. If so, does this mean that the filter will also distribute the CO2 to the rest of the tank? I apologize if that was a stupid question.

The turbulence in the wet/dry as water flows over the media will tend to break CO2 out of solution. You can expect a lot more CO2 consumption, maybe 5x as much -- making this only reasonable with presurized CO2, and a large tank at that, for you will be refilling more often.
110 and 58 gallons 17 adult discus
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: