Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
is there away to make DYI co2 put out more co2?
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.15(Tue)12:21    Post subject: is there away to make DYI co2 put out more co2? Reply with quote

My DYI co2 doesn't seem to be putting out a lot of co2 so I was wanting to see if by adding more yeast to the mix if that would help. I have also heard that adding backing soda help with that also. If that does add more co2 or if someone know if adding more yeast works. PLease let me know.

I'm mixing my mix as fellows per 2 liter bottle= steo 1. 1 1/4 cup of suger boiled in water to dasolve it.
step 2. Then I'm putting the disolved suger and water in the bottle.
step 3. adding the rest of the water to the water line on the 2L bottle.
step 4. Then I'm adding 2 tbs of yeast per bottle.

Is this right or should I be adding baking soda also???

The water is cooled down to 76f or room temp before the yeast is added.
So if thats not the right recipe then can someone give me the right one please. the plants are grow but not like they could.
Quaid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.15(Tue)13:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baking soda will increase your carbonate hardness (KH). This is a buffer for CO2 addition and the pH scale. It alone will not increase your CO2 content, but it will allow you to add more CO2 while stayin within an acceptable pH range.

www.rexgrigg.com has a good breakdown of how to use baking soda (if you need it) under water chemistry.

You mentioned that you cooled the water before adding the yeast. That is correct, as boiling or even hot water will kill the yeast. However, warm water is required for activating standard baking yeast and even some of the brewing yeasts. The package the yeast comes in will have instructions for how to do so.

2tbs is A LOT of yeast. It should be making bubbles like mad, although with only 1 1/4 cup sugar, that won't last long. This might be what you need if you have a big tank. I use 1/4tsp yeast with 2cups sugar on my 15gal.

I suspect something has either killed your yeast (temperature or chemical), or they have not been activated yet. If you have a light hood that gets kind of warm, try leaving the bottle ontop of that for a day or two. Chlorine in the water does not kill yeast. They are not bacteria, they are a plant (fungus?).
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.15(Tue)13:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a60gal tank. So you thank I should add more suger to make it last longer. It useualy last two weeks before it putts out. Are around two weeks sometimes it only last for 9 days. So by adding baking soda it helps and also makes the waer harder.

Does it make more co2 or a co2 that is easyer to move throw the tank?
Quaid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.15(Tue)17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep using your 1.5 cups of sugar if it works for you, however you might want to try adding another 1 cup of sugar after it appears to have stopped working and see how long that lasts you. If you get a week or more then it might be worth adding right off the start, or perhaps just after the 1.5 is used up everytime. Experiment and see what works best for you! Also, when you change the bottles, empty all the water and ethanol out of the bottle but save the brown sludge on the bottom. It is the yeast! It will be mostly no good, but some of it will start working right away when you add fresh water and sugar with fresh yeast! This has helped me get the bottles started faster after changing them.

The baking soda makes the carbonate hardness increase, but not the general hardness. The carbonate hardness buffers the pH of the water. The CO2 in the bottle with the yeast will make the water more acidic as more of it is produced, and adding buffer helps to keep it more stable. If the pH goes too low it will start to kill the yeast. The other thing that kills the yeast is the ethanol they produce during their anaerobic respiration. A combination of the lowered pH and high ethanol concentration is what generally causes the reaction to come to halt. Otherwise we could just add more sugar every few weeks and never change the liquid, too bad eh?!

EDIT: It does not change the CO2 gas going into the tank. CO2 gas is CO2 gas (mostly). There are different purities of CO2 (medical, industry, laboratory, etc), but you won't be dealing with this in a DIY setup. The purity is an options for pressurized systems and I think that it probably doesn't make a huge difference in the plant growth compared to the increased price. The variable you can control for the gas going into the tank is the efficiency of your reactor. If you are having gas escape the water before it is dissolved, there is room to improve. If you have 100% solvation of the CO2 into the water, but then you find your CO2 concentration is too high, you can back off your DIY recipe by using less yeast. If you use the same amount of sugar and water, this should also make your mixture last longer.
Jose
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.15(Tue)21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my DIY CO2 the gas has not went below the water level, but the pH has lowered overnight from 7.4 to 7.0 so some CO2 has dissolved in the water. The yeast I pretty inactive because of the temp. being below 20 degrees celcius. Would this system produce enough CO2 for plants or will I have to modify it?
Quaid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.15(Tue)21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measure your KH. Then use the CO2 chart to see what your levels are. Above 10ppm will be good, but 20-30ppm is perfect for highlight.
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.16(Wed)9:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jose wrote:
With my DIY CO2 the gas has not went below the water level, but the pH has lowered overnight from 7.4 to 7.0 so some CO2 has dissolved in the water. The yeast I pretty inactive because of the temp. being below 20 degrees celcius. Would this system produce enough CO2 for plants or will I have to modify it?

With my system the temp of the water dosen't make the co2 any less in the water. I have taking reading of the KH and pH then measured the differnts to get my co2 levels and even with the colder water the amount of co2 getting into the water was the some at 25ppm on the 25 c. tank and my 29 c. tank it's around the same at 24ppm. What fish or you keeping that your tanks temp is so low/ 20 c. is what 68 f. (if my maths right )

Mine stays at 25 c. or 78 f. I got one at 31 c. or 88 f. now do to the fact I'm treating for ick and doing the heat treatment and meds. It's normally at 25 c. or 78 f. and to me 68 f. or 20 c. is pretty cold for must fish. I may be wrong but I've always heard that you needed to keep the water temps in the 74 f. to 79 f. or 23 c. to 25 c. range and less you have cold water fish.
Quaid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.16(Wed)9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that was a reference to ambient room temperature. The reaction of the yeast occurs faster at higher temps (until the temp is too high). The yeast should not be kept in your tank, so the temperatur of your yeast mixture will be that of the room. That being said, you can dissolve more solute into warmer water, but we aren't trying to saturate the water. We DON'T WANT to get close to CO2 saturation in the tank.
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.16(Wed)13:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

man did I ever read that wrong lol sorry jose
Jose
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.17(Thu)0:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats alright
Quaid, thanks for the advice the level is 12 ppm, I'm hoping to get it up to 20+ becuasue of my strong lighting, the bottle isn,t airtight so I will seal it with silicon and not hot glue.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: