Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Aquarium-Safe Clay + DIY Caves
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.14(Mon)18:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea. Very Happy
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.16(Wed)15:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

why not use clay flower pots and knock the bottom out of it and then brake it in half giving you two then you could set them in five differnt areas throw out the tank you could also use aquarium silacone to stick the sand and rocks to the flower pots. That way you got a smoth surface for the female to lay her eggs.
CCS
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.16(Wed)19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will clay pots dissolve eventually? If so, maybe I could use plastic pots.
leslie ferguson
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.17(Thu)5:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

no I've had mine in one of my tanks for over 2yrs. and I got a friend of mine whos had 5 caves made from the same thing for over 6 yrs now with no problum. I've seen them set on my grandmothers front steo with flowers and water in them for 20 years. There disigned for water.
Gorax
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.11.26(Sat)10:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wonering about aquarium-safe clay as well. I got an aquarium recently and I've been looking for some little tank ornaments to put in it... Only the ones you can get in stores (castles, sunken ships, etc.) are a little too generic/mediocre for my taste, so I was planning on making my own.

What's the stuff they use to make the fishtank ornaments they sell at pet stores? (Not the ceramic ones, I mean the ones that are painted and look like they're made of some kind of plasticy rock. I don't know what it's called o_O)

Or is there any kind of hardening clay out there that will not mess up in water and not poison the critters I want to put in the tank (would FIMO clay be okay?) And what about paint?

Any info will be appreciated.
Lord Steve0
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.26(Sat)10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

The castles and such are usualy made of resin, it's like plastic and you can mould it just like you would with something that is made of plastic. They pour it into a mould as a hot liquid or as two seperate compounds and it sets to form a very hard solid resin.
I think you can buy it but it's probably expensive and I'd imagine it's pretty nasty stuf to work with. You would also need a mould of the shapes you wanted.
There are a millin different types, from epoxy resin glue to the stuf they make rail carriages out of.
The_Big_Sleep
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.28(Mon)17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this once at a Chinese restaurant, and looks a little tacky but definitely gets the job done: Someone had taken a ton of marbles and siliconed them together to form a little igloo-type cave. Like I said, the brightly colored marbles they had used looked pretty tacky, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could pull off the same general thing using regular pebbles or rocks Smile
ascensia
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.28(Mon)20:03    Post subject: ceramic Reply with quote

could you make decorations out of ceramic? maybe porcelaine or something, then you know that its pure, and glaze it with a food-safe glaze?
if you don't do ceramics, you could probably find a local art center and just buy a bag of clay and some firings, I imagine it would be cheaper than resin, and easier.

leah
Dragonfish
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.12.21(Wed)2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all from Edmonton Alberta
CCS wrote:

Wait a minute, I've got it! Idea Plastic! I could use a plastic soda bottle! And for the non-tubular caves(which I've decided will be the style for all of the caves), I can use a wiffle ball! or small plastic tupperware containers!

Hi All,.. I used Tupperware square & retangular sandwhich boxs.. I cut one side out. coved the bottom(now top) with fish safe silicone.. added same color sand as the restof the aquarium, mad various "caves" this way works great
DarthBaiter
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.12.21(Wed)15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister-in-law goes to a pottery class and has made some caves for me with clay. Not real sure what kinda clay, but I did the acid test and it was fine...no bubbles. I know that it's the same clay she uses to make our tea cups, so I figured it was OK. Also, she bakes these after making them, so that they don't dissolve in the tank. When I ask her what kind of clay it was, she gave me a funny smirk and said "it's just pottery clay.". Surprised Laughing
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: