Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Marine Pond is it possible.
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.11.05(Sat)14:26    Post subject: Marine Pond is it possible. Reply with quote

Is it possible to have a marine pond Question Is it possible to have a nano marine pond Question

All coments wecome Very Happy
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.11.06(Sun)0:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there know one, that will risk to give even one coment on this. Question

It can be bad or go.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.11.06(Sun)10:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been done.I think it ould require lots of experience with SW aquariums, good climate or otherwise a heater/lighting system, and a practically unlimited supply of seawater to get it done.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.11.06(Sun)13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live practicly right next to the beach (round about 800 meters away). And I live in Cape Town so it dosn't get that cold, I mean we don't have snow or eny thing like that, it rarly drops below 14*c so the climate is okey. But the lots of exprience Rolling Eyes ,I mean, I have kept SW aquariums befor, but not on a grand scale, and I toke a lot of short cuts (I'm not realy Ca adding and pH and GH testing type of person) because I have the beach so close to me, at one time I nearly did a 50% water chang once a week.

Quote:
It has been done

Can you give me more info, because I have never heard of it bing done Question

Thanks a lot Very Happy
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.11.07(Mon)2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Oscer,
The questions "can it be done?" and "Is it commonly done ?" are two different things. Technically, setting up a pond is no different than setting up a tank; just a different container. Most people don't set up tropical or marine ponds though because viewing is much harder and heating can be expensive. Even in a moderate climate such as yours the pond will still experience temp swings unless it is heated and cooled accordingly. The ocean doesn't experience such temp swings and marine fish and inverts are sensitive to them. One exception to this are tidal pools so a tidal pool pond would probably work. Of course tidal pools experience large volume water changes so you would have to be prepared to do that or have a very good filtration system. You, of course, would have to also research species that exist in tidal pool settings.
I have seen a set up like this (a tank that was 3'x6'x6"deep) that was designed to be viewed from above with an acryllic box.
Hope this helps,
Good luck.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.11.07(Mon)10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dale

I understand what your saying, with the beter viewing from the side than from the top. Now that mention the tidal pool or coldwater marine tank; I have had quite a bit of xeprience in that aspect of marine fish keeping, having had three tanks, of which one was devoted to keeping seaweed alive!
Quote:
I nearly did a 50% water chang once a week.

I'm currently on my 3rd, its only 75L so it's bit small but I think, in a biger tank some of the samll invertebrates would get lost in the backround. I'v tried a small tropical SW setup, but have't created a big reef or eny thing like that. Is there realy such a difference between Tidal pool and Marie setup Question

The pond I was thinking about, would have a window into for view the fish better and may be even a cover for the rain Rolling Eyes It would be better for the fish and easer to mantain Question
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.11.07(Mon)22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi oscer,
The difference is in how the marine climate changes (comparing the two) and how differing species have evolved to exist in them.
A true marine environment (say the great barrier reef) changes very little, temp wise, from day to day and only gradually over the seasons. The corals and inverts also remain at relatively the same depth and so experience the same light intensity. As well the water chemistry is buffered by, basically, the whole ocean (over simplification but you get the point). Even small changes to the environment can negatively affect the flora and fauna because there has never been a need for them to develop the ability to tolerate change. That's why, generally speaking, S.W. keepers experience more success with larger tanks. Larger volume= larger stability.
Tidal pools on the other hand experience drastic changes (relatively speaking) and so the flora and fauna native to them are generally more tolerant of change. Of course this is all "generally speaking" and I'm sure there are exceptions to everything.
I think it's very interesting that you kept seaweeds alive. That isn't something that a person comes across every day. Everybodies into corals these days but I think a heavily planted seaweed tank would look great!
oh well, enough of my babbling. Let us know how things turn out.
Good luck.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.11.07(Mon)23:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I undestand what your saying about the changes, and now get the biger picture. Thanks a lot dale for all the info, it put thinigs in perspective Very Happy

O about the seaweed, they stayed alive, looked go, but didn't necessarily grow much. Which was good, never had to remove eny Wink

I'd stil like to know if there is eny one who has run a SW pond Question
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.11.09(Wed)12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I gess there is know one, who has seen this, who has run a Cold SW pond.

OK so first things first, Pond construction. I'm thinking of a few types of materials that could be used but they all seem to fall victim to SW what do you suggest Question I was thinking of going small once again, and with my moderate climate it souldn't be a problem Question
scottsws
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.09(Wed)16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with a plastic pond liner. It's inert. Stocking items from a local (to you) tidal pool would work much better than a coral reef setup.

I'm in Virginia, USA and visited a public aquarium recently. It focused on the marine fauna and flora of Tidewater Virginia (mouth of the Chesapeake Bay). What I found very interesting was their offshore reef tanks. There were quite a lot of interesting fish and invertebrates in the deeper water offshore that I didn't know about. I liked them better than the obligatory shark tank (sharks are cool - don't get me wrong). Those tanks made me want to set up a cold water marine one myself!!!

The only problem I see is that the water will get too warm. The ocean where you live is not tropical, but the sun will warm your pond up a LOT in the summer. As Dale said, ocean fish are less tolerant of temperature changes than freshwater.

Why not set up a freshwater South African pond? There's got to be some pretty cool local fish that you can catch. Goldfish and Koi don't count.

Scott
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: