Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I Want To Find Good Pondmates For Guppies. . .
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
honmol

PostPosted: 2005.10.16(Sun)13:16    Post subject: I Want To Find Good Pondmates For Guppies. . . Reply with quote

Do you have any suggestions? It's a healthy, well planted pond but the only fish that I've kept there before were guppies. I'd like to introduce some pondmates. I've been thinking of getting a school of tetras. Any suggestions? If they can breed easily it would be great although it's fine if they don't.

I'd also maybe like to get 1 or 2 small catfish. Any suggestions for me?
TJ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.10.16(Sun)13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

how big is this pond? tetras and other fish shouldnt be kept outside, they need a controled temperature.
honmol

PostPosted: 2005.10.16(Sun)14:15    Post subject: Pond Size Reply with quote

I'm not sure exactly how big but it pretty much fills all of the patio but a small table. There aren't many guppies in it so I don't think that it's overstocked. I still have fry in there but I'm giving them to the fish store and some friends. After that I'll have 7 adults. The temperature is pretty controlled. I don't get extreme temperatures and I do test it to make sure that it stays steady. I'm going to get a tank for them soon. I would still like to know good fish to go with guppies though.

TJTOMMY26 wrote:
how big is this pond? tetras and other fish shouldnt be kept outside, they need a controled temperature.

If what you're saying is what it sounds like you're saying that no fish should be kept outside. Not even pondfish.
TJ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.10.16(Sun)14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well tetras are TROPICAL! goldfish and koi are fine outside. Guppies are semitropical so they would be okay where you live to be outside. I need to know how big the pond is to help you. can you give me dimensions or a guess? I can't really help you unless you tell me how big it is.
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.10.16(Sun)16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say in San Diego, he could keep some tropicals outdoors. I have seen many people do it. Just find a fish that likes the same conditions as the guppies and shouldn't be any problems. I have seen people keep mollies, cichlids and other types outside. Just make sure the fish are compatable and like the same water parem.
TJ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.10.16(Sun)17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

some can be okay like semitropicals like paradise fish but I wouldnt keep them with guppies. I have kept bronze cories in a golfish tank and a dojo loach should work too.
honmol

PostPosted: 2005.10.16(Sun)18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, I'm looking for small fish that are friendly and colorful. I want to try something different and I've only ever had livebearers before. I'm sorry. I'm going from house to house a lot and am currently in Seattle. I'm going to be there soon for dad's Birthday. I'll be able to tell you then. But it's a good sized pond and I definately know that it could hold more.
Would my idea for tetras work? If not, are there any others that would? I'm open to any pondmates, large or small, that would get along with the guppies.

susankatomerit wrote:
I would say in San Diego, he could keep some tropicals outdoors. I have seen many people do it. Just find a fish that likes the same conditions as the guppies and shouldn't be any problems. I have seen people keep mollies, cichlids and other types outside. Just make sure the fish are compatable and like the same water parem.

Note: I am a She, Not A He
TJ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.10.17(Mon)18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can NOT help you unless you give us a guess or estimate for your pond size. I don't think tetras would work but cories might.
honmol

PostPosted: 2005.10.17(Mon)20:11    Post subject: OK Reply with quote

OK. I'll look at cories. What about sparkler gouramis? (3 cm, supposed to be timid and peaceful) There's something on them in the gallery on this site. Any others?
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.11.22(Tue)7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I like the idea of having gouramis in a pond and you can add a few Betta and give it kind of, Asian feel Very Happy
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: