Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
I Keep Guppies In A Pond On My Patio. . .
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
honmol

PostPosted: 2005.10.14(Fri)0:49    Post subject: I Keep Guppies In A Pond On My Patio. . . Reply with quote

I have a pond on my patio that I keep guppies in. Now, I live in San Diego where it stays warm all year round. All I had to do was provide plenty of hiding spaces and space and my guppies were breeding like crazy. I've had it for about a year now and the pond is getting crowded. I'm having to remove some of the fish however problems with a local cat have gotten population down. I keep 2 females per male and add new fish every few months so that they don't get inbred. I've noticed stronger colors in my guppies and no sickness since I put them in a pond. I've never found photos of anything like one of the males in the pond. He has a huge blue and green spotted tail and is the king of the pond. I do almost nothing to help the babies along and yet have not had to remove a single fish. Although everything I've found about guppies was about them in an aquarium mine are doing great. If you have a warm pond I would highly reccomend them. They are amazingly hardy and require almost nothing. I also have in the pond a few ghost shrimp, some snails, and a tadpole. All animals are thriving. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I will post pictures of my fish as soon as I can get them to hold still long enough.
honmol

PostPosted: 2005.10.14(Fri)0:51    Post subject: Fish Fatalities Reply with quote

Quote:
I do almost nothing to help the babies along and yet have not had to remove a single fish

This was referring to the lack of fish fatalities in my pond.
honmol

PostPosted: 2005.10.14(Fri)1:28    Post subject: Do You Know. . . Reply with quote

Do you know of any other fish that would go well with them? So far I've only kept the guppies. My little sister dumped her betta in at one point but it was quickly removed and placed back in its bowl in her room. They are very kind and peaceful with the tadpole but It's growing legs and will be a frog soon. I think that having a little variety might be good. I'm looking at a few kinds of tetra but they all need schools and I would like fish that would be comfortable with just 2 or 3. If a school is neccesary for good pondmates I could get 1 but I'd prefer not to. Also, my guppy fry are getting pretty large now but my LFS won't take as many as I need to find homes for. Any reccomendations? If I keep the fry then pretty soon I'll have about 50 adult guppies with a dirty pond and I'd much rather have less gappy guppies than more unhappy ones. Where can I sell/give away several guppy fry?
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.11.03(Thu)11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had guppys and white cloud mountain minnows toghether befor with great sucssec. Mybe you sould try them Smile
Charles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.10(Thu)16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello honmol, do u have a picture to share? I'm curious how beautiful those "peacocks" are.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.11.13(Sun)12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who big's your pond Question And what type and size filter do you use Question
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: