Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tank Divider?
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
LKH
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.09.29(Thu)13:28    Post subject: Tank Divider? Reply with quote

Lees makes tank dividers which are basically flexible plastic sheets which are held in place by these awful-looking thick blue-green sliders that you affix to the side of your tank. I think the blue things just make the whole thing really ugly and mess up the appearance of the tank. Also, the sheets have tiny, tiny perforations, but you can't tell me that the current can flow through them. I put in one of those dividers in my 10 gallon before I filled it, and poured the water in one side and it took awhile for the other side to catch up. Obviously the flow from the filter isn't going to exchange water with the other side. Add to that it's still clear, so if you have aggressive fish that are going to stress over the mere sight of each other, you still have a problem.

If anyone is familiar with the 2.5 gallon Minibow aquarium, it comes with a slotted acrylic divider that has little feet. You can stand it in the tank to divide it in case you want to house two bettas there. Now I think this is a perfectly lousy idea, since keeping two bettas in one small tank where they can see each other and lunge at each other all day has got to be unduly stressful.

But I think the divider itself is brilliant.

So what I envision now is a sheet of clear acrylic with a foot on the bottom (shaped like an "L"), preferably perforated, with some way to fix it at the top to the sides of your tank so it won't fall over.

It seems to me someone could make one pretty easily. Just don't know where to start. Any ideas?

L

G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)
almondmonkey
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.09.29(Thu)14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if u wanted it clear or transperent u could start with plexi. then cut it to the size that u want. heat the bottom of it with a heatgun slowly and bend it over something with a 90' angle. be sure not to heat it too fast or it will melt. and if u wanted it to be translucent where only letting light through u could get a tinted piece or even a white piece that the fish will not be able to see through. you can even get one where the silote of the fish was able to be seen. I personally don't like dividers but I go to school for architecture and could produce a divider in a matter of minutes. LOL
LKH
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.09.29(Thu)14:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't much like them either, but it would be handy in this case. I'm thinking of ways to safely introduce my betta to the community tank. A divider that could be easily inserted and removed, that would allow him to see his housemates without being able to nip would be helpful until he got used to them. Then I could evaluate whether it would be OK to let him run the tank. If not, this would still be a nice way to reduce the number of tanks I have to clean each week.

L

LKH
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.09.29(Thu)14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't much like them either, but it would be handy in this case. I'm thinking of ways to safely introduce my betta to the community tank. A divider that could be easily inserted and removed, that would allow him to see his housemates without being able to nip would be helpful until he got used to them. Then I could evaluate whether it would be OK to let him run the tank. If not, this would still be a nice way to reduce the number of tanks I have to clean each week.

L

almondmonkey
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.09.29(Thu)21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think thats its something u should try. its a good idea!
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: