Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My little goldfish...
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
~sunshine~
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.09.22(Thu)14:18    Post subject: My little goldfish... Reply with quote

I have had a small fantail, calico goldfish for about eight years. He's been in a one gallon (3.78 liters) tank with an airstone and some decor since I bought him. I would have given him a larger tank had I known he needed one (I bought him before I became an aquarist). Every so often I do a full water change, and I don't cycle it again before I put him back in Embarassed , but I have always added prime to remove the chlorine.

My little goldfish gave me a big scare the other day. He had been laying at the bottom of the tank, and swimming funny. His breathing also seemed labored. I relized then that we hadn't added enough water his last water change, and it had evaporated past the airstone. He almost died from lack of oxygen, but I quickly added more water and now he is eating and acting normally. He seems very healthy.

I just have a few questions about him.

1. I have a cycled, empty 29 gallon tank. Would it be a good idea if I put him in it?

2. If I put him in the 29 gallon, will he grow any more? He has stayed the same size for the past 8 years, but he's only in a one-gallon. Is it true that they grow to their environment?

3. If I put him in the 29 gallon, would he be happier with other goldfish? If so, what kind?

4. Is there some kind of coldwater algae eater that would get along with goldfish? There's some algae growth in my tank.

5. Do you think his life has been shortened by keeping him in a one gallon for so long?

Thanks for all your help! Very Happy

http://www.deathbydyeing.org/ take a look. you'll be pretty surprised
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.09.22(Thu)14:33    Post subject: Re: My little goldfish... Reply with quote

~sunshine~ wrote:
I have had a small fantail, calico goldfish for about eight years. He's been in a one gallon (3.78 liters) tank with an airstone and some decor since I bought him. I would have given him a larger tank had I known he needed one (I bought him before I became an aquarist). Every so often I do a full water change, and I don't cycle it again before I put him back in Embarassed , but I have always added prime to remove the chlorine.

My little goldfish gave me a big scare the other day. He had been laying at the bottom of the tank, and swimming funny. His breathing also seemed labored. I relized then that we hadn't added enough water his last water change, and it had evaporated past the airstone. He almost died from lack of oxygen, but I quickly added more water and now he is eating and acting normally. He seems very healthy.

I just have a few questions about him.

1. I have a cycled, empty 29 gallon tank. Would it be a good idea if I put him in it?

2. If I put him in the 29 gallon, will he grow any more? He has stayed the same size for the past 8 years, but he's only in a one-gallon. Is it true that they grow to their environment?

3. If I put him in the 29 gallon, would he be happier with other goldfish? If so, what kind?

4. Is there some kind of coldwater algae eater that would get along with goldfish? There's some algae growth in my tank.

5. Do you think his life has been shortened by keeping him in a one gallon for so long?

Thanks for all your help! Very Happy

It probably wouldn't hurt, may even make him more comfortable.

There body might grow to fit his enviroment but his insides keep growing. I don't think he would grow much after 8 years.

coldwater algae eater, I am not sure of.

Yes I think his lifespan has been shortened considerably by keeping him in a smaller bowl. My suggestion would be to keep him comfortable for his remaining time, and keep him happy. As for putting more into the 29 gal I wouldn't put more than 2. Keep up with plenty of water changes as goldfish are very messy.

Good luck with him. I hope you make his remaining time very good for him.
~sunshine~
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.09.22(Thu)15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom thinks moving him will kill him (don't ask me). Does anybody have something to say about that?

Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.09.22(Thu)18:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My mom thinks moving him will kill him

Its more likely that not moving him will cause death sooner. 1 gallon is very small for a goldfish. I agree that moving him to the 29g is the best bet to keeping him alive and happy longer that remaining in the 1g

I'm in a simalar situation, I got 2 common goldfish from my sisters CO2-worker when she moved out of town they were 10 years old and in a 20g so they are both stunted and then in the same week I got another goldfish, its a fancy type and put him in the same tank Embarassed Now I know how stupid I was and am trying to save up for a much larger tank to keep them in.

So at least your not alone I found a lot of great info here

http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/
Its a great board/site dedicated only to goldfish.

I want More Snow!
piranha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.09.22(Thu)19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what has been said and will add that if you do give it a mate,it would be best if it were of the same species. Comets and especially Commons are more active and are likely to bully the fantail. One fish per 15 gallons.Two in a 29 is OK.
LittleMousling
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.09.23(Fri)8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving will kill him ... if done wrong. He's currently in, undoubtedly, fairly horrific water conditions. Moving him suddenly to a cycled, ammonia-free tank could easily shock his strained system and kill him. So, start now by increasing the number of water changes on the tiny tank until it's being cleaned more than once a day (surely the only way to keep in mildly acceptable). Then place said tiny tank (or a bucket it's been poured into) on the floor in front of the larger tank, half-empty, and use the "drip method" to sloooooowly acclimate the fish.

Drip method: take a long piece of airline tubing and knot it so that when it's used as a siphon (from the 29 to the goldfish's container) it only has about a drop of water per second - hence, dripping. Let the container fill, remove half the water, let it fill again, then put him in the tank.

Fun factoid: stunted fish almost always grow once moved to a larger space. He's extremely unlikely to ever reach full size, but he'll probably pass 5-6" eventually.
~sunshine~
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.09.24(Sat)19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afaid I don't know what you mean... When my mother and I clean the one gallon, we do a full water change. (I admit we wait until the water has gotten quite filthy). We thoroughly clean it every time. Immediatly putting him back in clean water has never killed him before (I bet you knew that).

Devs
Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.24(Sat)19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I think the poor fish definately deserves a bigger tank after living life in a one gal. for all of these years. This really made me sad to read. Sad It's okay to add another Goldfish,just make sure it's close to your fish's size.I'd hate to see him picked on at this late date. Sad I doubt very much if your Goldfish will grow at all. Although somehow he managed to survive this ordeal,I'm sure he'll have problems from it.Just sitting in filthy water of Ammonia and waste does damage-you may not see it,but I'm sure it's there. Sad
f_i_s_h_
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.30(Fri)14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

He must be a very tough fish. Normally, a goldfish wouldn't last a day in a 1 gallon tank.

Get him in the 29g asap. If he's used to cleaner water it shouldn't be so much of a problem- but you could try adding the 1g's water to the 29g when you put him in.
honmol

PostPosted: 2005.10.16(Sun)13:39    Post subject: GOLDFISH Reply with quote

Yes, it was very sad to read about him. Sad Definately move him as soon as possible. You actually may not want to add a tankmate because although he probably will not grow (at least not much) a tank mate probably would. So even if you got 1 the same size it could get much larger. Just thought that I'd point that out.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: