Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Ponds attracting other creatures....
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
amy9545
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.20(Tue)23:28    Post subject: Ponds attracting other creatures.... Reply with quote

I have a common pleco in my 55 gallon tank. He is still rather small....only about 5 inches long.

The plan is to build a pond to accomodate him when he gets larger.

The problem....

I live in south Georgia....and I'm worried about my pond attracting other unwanted creatures such as snakes.

Anyway to avoid this? Should I be at all concerned?

I really worry about reaching my hand into the pond one day and getting bit by something.
Josh Hansen
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.09.21(Wed)0:09    Post subject: Snakes Reply with quote

I would not be worried about snakes harming your fish as they rely on the food source of rodents, frogs and lizards. Most snakes move away when they hear you. We (Austalians) who have aproximately the seven out of ten most venomous snakes in the world live on the philsophy you leave the snake alone and the snakes leaves you alone. Remember the snake will be more scared of you than you are scared of him or her.

from Josh.
Devs
Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.24(Sat)19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ponds naturally will bring Animal life around,whether it be birds/frogs/turtles/Raccoons,etc. As mentioned,most animals will run/hide if they hear somone coming,so chances are that you won't be bothered by anyone.You do have to remember to say,"Never say Never though" WHat do you plan on stocking in with the PLeco?
Batman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.10.28(Fri)14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not true that snakes will not eat fish. It depends on the species. Maybe the ones around australia don't, but in georgia, there are many species of water snakes that specialized in eating fish. It's just a risk you have to take. I'm in california, and we have herons and raccoons, but not snakes.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.10.29(Sat)15:04    Post subject: rasied pond Reply with quote

If the edge of the pond is raised it will be less attractive to some critters like frogs and snakes. You may still have racoons, cats, and birds though.
110 and 58 gallons 17 adult discus
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.11.18(Fri)13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If the edge of the pond is raised it will be less attractive to some critters like frogs and snakes

I agree. I think for the birds you can just run fishing line across the pond, so that it forms a type of net. You can easily see through this and it keeps birds away.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: