Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
90G Story
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
pianodog
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.09.15(Thu)19:14    Post subject: 90G Story Reply with quote

Hi all,

after having my 10G and 50G running now for some time, so I took the new challenge, a 90G predrill tank was added from which I should build the stand, the canopy and it shall be named "Age of Aquariums". Here are the images of how the story is developing.

I use 2x4s to build the frame.

The first image is the top and bottom of the frame

Next two pictures the corner legs are in place, and you can see de center legs on top ready to be set.

Here I did a little fit test to see how it was going.

Next two pictures a 3/4" base for the tank and bottom shelf have been added

I'll soon start the shell, as soon as new pictures are ready I'll post them so that you can check them out.

Luis
Sahara22588
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.09.15(Thu)20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, pianodog! I'd love to have the skills needed to make stuff like that. Any time I get near anything with a hammer and nails the results are not very pretty. Kepp up the good work and take lots of pictures!!

Byez!!! Very Happy
pianodog
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.09.15(Thu)20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Sahara,

but you are very good with Styrofoam Wink yourself, I wish I knew how to do that.

Luis
Sahara22588
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.09.17(Sat)7:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL thanks, pianodog. Unfortunately, I had to scrap the styrofoam project Sad . We had a storm the other day and I forgot to close my windows, so the pieces (not to mention my bed and carpet) got soaked and had to be pitched.

One piece survived the storm though, and I might just use it to make a realistic rock wall for the back or something.

Byez! Very Happy
pianodog
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.09.17(Sat)7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG!!! Now that is bad news Crying or Very sad I was looking forward to see your project finished, that is so bad. As a matter fact I was going to ask you how do you work the styrofoam, but I guess we will have to leave the lesson for later. I am so sorry that you lost that project, it was looking so GOOD! ! !

my regards,

Luis
Sahara22588
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.09.17(Sat)18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working the styrofoam isn't that hard. I'd been using some of my grandma's old carving tools to carve out the designs, but that is a very rough way of doing things. I'd been using a piece of sandpaper to smooth some of the edges on the carvings. There are actual foam carving kits you can buy on the internet that use heat and special tools to make the project easier. If you want to do something similar, either look into getting a tool kit or just some carving tools. Either way works.

Byez! Very Happy
LaraG
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.09.19(Mon)5:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luis, I envy your handywork! you really are running out of room for your DVD's, not to mention time to watch them! Maybe you should just ditch them and gaze at your fish all day he he he! Laughing
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: