Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How to make your own co2
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Nickz
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.09.13(Tue)7:45    Post subject: How to make your own co2 Reply with quote

how do you make your own co2. I herd you can do a bottle thing but I don't know how to do it if any one has a link or somethink that would be very help full
will5
Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.16(Fri)11:49    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

I am using the coke bottle. just get a 2liter bottle and silcone tubing,air flow check value,air line connector and a hot glue gun. First poke a hole in the cap of the bottle a little smaller than the air line connector then put some hot gule around the hole then force the connector through it so that it push out the glue around it (from the inside out) then fill in around it so that there is no holes. Then connect the air line tube to the air line connector that is sticking out of the top. Then go around it with more hot glue to get a good seal. Now check for leaks felling the coke bottle with water put the cap on it make sure its tight. Put the tube in the sink and hold the bottle up side down over the sink and give it a good long hard squezze if it leaks fill in the holes with more hot gule. If it does not leak then you add the air flow check value onw you are ready to defuse it by using an air stone or by using another air line connector if u have a HOB filter pry apart one of the grates on the intake tube and insert the connector the fan in the HOB filter will defuse it with the water.
will5
Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.16(Fri)11:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mixture is 2 cups sugar, 1/2 teaspoon yeast, 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. Fill the bottle with warm water untill you get to the curve then you just wait 45 min to an hour give or take an hour or so
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.09.16(Fri)12:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find this mixture to last longer... Smile

1 cup sugar (white cane)
2 tblspns (protein shake)
1 tblspn yeast

The lower amount of sugar seems to keep the beasties alive longer...

I boil the water before hand, but some report sucess w/out doing so...

good luck!
pianodog
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.09.16(Fri)12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add a little to the yeast. If you use Fleishmann's active dry Yeast, do the following, at least it works for me:

Make sure to mix your Yeast with tepid water, about 104
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.09.17(Sat)7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

how do you make your own co2.

There are 2 easy to use methods.

1) Inhale / Exhale. You'll be surprised the number of cubic meters of CO2 the human body respries.

2) Search this board and the internet. I'm fairly certain there are at least 100 posts on this topic.

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/search.php

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&hs=UMw&client=opera&rls=en&q=diy+aquarium+co2&spell=1

See also:
Articles Button on the left ->CO2 specific article

Chuck Gadd's Articles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: