Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How to put down a fish?(updated)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Ballgame
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.08.30(Tue)13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

so freezing is a bad thing? And I don't think boiling is much better. I might just pay to take him to a vet and have them inject him. He/me have till friday to find out what wrong and if he can get better. If he can't then I need to take the next steps. Sad Sad
Anyway thanks everyone. I was worried I would get flamed for asking how to do this since its a tough thing to talk about
Fish sticks
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.08.30(Tue)19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with lunar flame on this, no freezing. Please read this post http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=22486&highlight=clove+oil
as it covers all sorts of methods, there are also many other posts on this topic.

I believe clove oil, or decapitation is the best. Although you might not be able to bring yourself to do decapitation like me, I had my boyfriend do it when I needed to.

I hope your fish gets better, especially since you have had him for so long, maybe in time he will heal himself. Good luck, and if you need to put him down then my deepest apologies.
Ballgame
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.07(Wed)9:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks everyone for your prayers and thoughts. He is OK. I don
LunarFlame
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.09.07(Wed)9:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so great to hear that he's gotten better! At least you learned a lot throught this scary event, if anything.

I hope he continues to improve!
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.07(Wed)11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah you are right LunarFlame but I have no idea how one day(8 days) he is about dead on the bottom then the next he is swimming or at least trying to swim
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.09.07(Wed)12:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was probably a concussion as you suspected, and he started getting better. There may be permanent damage, or he may make a full recovery. Hopefully, he will recover completely.

~Haname
The Puffer Guy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.09.07(Wed)13:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read another method on euthanising fish but it does tend to get a bit messy (not knowing from personal experience but from others) It is quicker and less painful for the fish if you decapitate this but this can be too much for someone to handle so someone with a strong stomacu would have to do it.

Just one, hard, quick chop just behind the head will severe ther spinal cord therefore ending the fishes life in a flash.

Hope this helps and I am really sorry to hear about your piranha.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.09.07(Wed)13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've thought and studied long and hard about this subject, after bad expriences with both decapitation and freezing. Decapitation of fish, reptiles, and amphibians is not quick and painless. These animals' brains can tolerate low oxygen and low blood pressure for long periods of time before they stop functioning.

It's hard for us to watch a pet suffer, but you may find if you do take it's life in your own hands that it doesn't make you feel any better -- sometimes it's much worse, especially when you discover that none of these methods really result in a quick, peaceful, painless death.

~Haname
LaraG
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.09.10(Sat)6:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ballgame, what happened to your Piranha?
almondmonkey
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.09.10(Sat)10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea can we have an update. it was a good post and we all would like to know how hes doing.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: