Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How to put down a fish?(updated)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Ballgame
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.08.29(Mon)18:49    Post subject: How to put down a fish?(updated) Reply with quote

Updated on page 2

I have a 11 year old Piranha. He is a big part of my life and I have gone through a lot with him. I don't mean "put down" because I am a mean person, but he is in trouble.
Yesterday he freaked out and swam into the glass and immediately lost his equilibrium. Lost the food in his stomach and couldn't swim. Now he freak out if you get close to the tank and usually swims into the glass but this time was different...this time it was life altering.
Now my dilemma is how long to I let him sit on the bottom of the tank to suffer? I love him too much to do this to him yet I can't let him stave to death. I have a message to my vet but I really don't know what they can do.
So my question is what can I do if there is no cure and I refuse to let him suffer by staving to death. And even if I could force some food into his mouth what kinda of live is that for a Piranha?

Once again I'm asking because he means a lot to me and I don't want him to suffer. And please don't be mean and say flush him or anything like that. I came here for help.

Thanks
John

Last edited by Ballgame on 2005.09.07(Wed)9:29; edited 1 time in total
rainbow_69_96
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.08.29(Mon)19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the most painless way to put down a fish is to get a zip lock baggie put some witer in it and put your fish in it then you have to put it in the freezer. Once it is in the freezer his hearbeat will go down slowly and his heartbeat will eventually stop. Sorry but I don't know how long this will take but I hope I have helped. good luck! Very Happy
Sahara22588
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.08.29(Mon)19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there absolutely is no alternative to this problem, the easiest way to put him down would be to freeze him. Put him in a ziploc baggie with some water (you'll prolly have to double or triple bag him) and put him upright in your freezer. As the temperature of his water drops his metabolism will slow down until his heart stops. Then, you can bury him or do what you want.

Sorry about your piranha. It always is depressing to lose a pet.

Byez! Crying or Very sad
Ballgame
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.08.29(Mon)20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks rainbow and Sahara. Its sad and although I'm 31 years old it still awful. I hate the fact that I saw it happen. If this can't be fixed(and I don't think it can) I want it to be painless and fast. I will not let him suffer longer than he has too. His name is Conan, named after Conan O'Brien.
Thanks for the replies! It means a lot.
lularib
Members

PostPosted: 2005.08.30(Tue)1:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please, see my two posts here, specially the second one:

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=24593&highlight=
LaraG
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.08.30(Tue)4:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel very sad for you and your piranha. Are you sure he doesn't have a curable disease? Sorry, I'm not meaning to be insensitive if you already know the answer to this question. If you're not sure you could try posting in the disease forum for advise. Good luck, although I guess that isn't an appropriate thing to say, I really have no idea how long piranha's are supposed live. Crying or Very sad
sciaccaj20
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.08.30(Tue)6:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by the LFS to boil some water and drop the fish into it. They said that the fish will pass within seconds. They also said to put a net over it, so the fish can't jump out.

Not sure if this is the best method, depending on the size of the fish. I have never used this method, but this is what I was told.

Sorry to hear about your fish.
Sahara22588
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.08.30(Tue)12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't boil it. If anything, that would be a very painful way to end a fish's life even if it is a quick death. It's better to end it without any pain even if it takes awhile than to have a violent end just to have it over quickly.

Ballgame; no matter how old you get, it will still be painful to lose a pet, especially one you've had for a long time. Best wishes.

Byez! Very Happy
LunarFlame
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.08.30(Tue)13:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO freezing. That is actually one of the most painful ways to put down a fish. A better alternative is putting the fish in a container with an alka seltzer tablet. Either that or putting it in a container and slowly adding cloved oil.

NO FREEZING!
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.08.30(Tue)13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend of Fish wrote:
I feel very sad for you and your piranha. Are you sure he doesn't have a curable disease? Sorry, I'm not meaning to be insensitive if you already know the answer to this question. If you're not sure you could try posting in the disease forum for advise. Good luck, although I guess that isn't an appropriate thing to say, I really have no idea how long piranha's are supposed live. Crying or Very sad

thanks for the reply and no need to feel bad, he has had a good life. I don't think its a disease because I saw him slam into the tank and then not be able to swim right away and just lay on the bottom of the tank. I am going to pursue everything to make sure. I want to save him...if I can. Right now don't think I can and I can't stand to see him lay on the bottom of the tank much longer. He is 11 years old so I origanlly thought my him bones had gotten weak and he broke something when he hit the glass. thanks for your thought though
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: