Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Using a table as a stand, feasable?
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
strAtEdgE
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.08.27(Sat)0:00    Post subject: Using a table as a stand, feasable? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm entertaining the idea of starting an aquarium and currently shopping around for a used tank. I'm somewhat picky as I want it to match my decore in my apartment, which consists of birch solid wood funiture. Obviously, the chances of finding a stand made of birch is pretty much nil.

It is, however, easy for me to procure another table like the one I use as a computer desk, if it is feasable to use that as a stand. I'm just not sure how to accurately determine if it is going to be appropriate for the significant weight of the aquarium. The desk is very sturdy (despite being from Ikea) with 2" solid wood legs and a well braced surface. Actually, you can see it here:
http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10101&storeId=3&productId=15687

I'm guessing that a 40G aquarium weights in at about 180kg? I really have no idea how much weight the table can hold... it's not like they tell you when you buy it. But I can put my 70kg self on the table and jump on it and it doesn't even squeek.

Do you think using the table is feasable, or silly?

Thanks,
Scott
darthvader4002000
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.08.27(Sat)0:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go for it, I'm using a little tiny end table as a 10 gallon stand and it's held up fine for over a year and a half.
Jimbob
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.08.27(Sat)2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using an old pine chest of drawers for my 10g hospital tank, no problem weight wise but the main draw back is keeping the drips of water off the exposed surfaces so the wood does not end up with stain marks on it. I use a towel most of the time but its a chore to do that every time I open the lid and Mrs Jimbob isn't impressed!
darthvader4002000
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.08.27(Sat)7:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey jimbob, I did something a little redneck, and before I put the tank on the wood I put a towel down. It hasn't damaged the wood at all. I'd use an old towel so it don't get ruined or anything.
Jimbob
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.08.27(Sat)10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs J would be impressed, me, I worried more about the tank than the wood, then I got domesticated!
Sahara22588
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.08.27(Sat)21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't trust that desk with a 40 gallon. It just won't hold the weight well enough on those legs.

40 gallons of water will weigh about 320 pounds (roughly 8 pounds per gallon). Add on the weight of the gravel, rocks, decor, lighting, and full filter. You'll have approx. 400 pounds of stuff on top of that table.

The biggest tank I would keep on that table would be a fifteen gallon. I have a ten gallon on my desk (which is built similar to yours) and I sat on that thing once for a half hour every day for a week to make sure it'd hold constant weight. It did, but the desk did bow a little, and I'm going to break it down since all the fish in it were relocated.

If you really do want an aquarium, you'll have to find space for a stand, especially if you want something large. You'll be a lot happier with a stand, anyway. Try searching the phone book and see if you can find a furniture store that will do custom orders. You might be able to get a dresser or something with storage space under it that match your other furniture. If you can't find a store near you with your type of wood, sometimes LFS's will special order or custom finish stands to your liking.

Byez! Very Happy
Domandred
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.26(Mon)12:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of an old post but still first page so probably safe to reply.

I purchased a 27 US Gallon tank some years ago. Before I set it up I wanted a stand for it but didn't want to spend almost as much for the stand as I did for the tank itself. I didn't care much about how good the stand looked, but at least wanted functional and kept the tank top at about chest height to me. I also was not sure about my skills enough to trust myself making a stand. After looking around for a cheap alternative to no avail I *almost* gave in and purchased a stand from my Commercial LFS.

Just on a whim I pulled into Deseret Industries (A thrift store) and glanced into their furniture section. I found 2 matching tables, one 2'X2' and the other 3'X2'. Both about 29" tall. They were constructed sometime in the 70's or 80's I figure. They had very simple design to them, a top, 4 legs and cross bar.

The key to them was that they are EXTREMELY heavy duty tables for their size. The cross bars supporting the undertable are painted solid cast iron. The legs from what I can tell are hollow heavy gauge metal, and there is a metal frame that supports the table top all the way around as well. The top of the tables from what I can tell are formica covered slate. Yes slate, the same thing used for good quality pool tables. I have yet to cause any damage to the top themselves and only managed to chip the formica covering. Once I attempted to put a push pin through the table to pin something up...no way, the pin head bent around in on itself into a hook. Also the tables have the adjustable leg posts on them for leveling.

So I picked these two tables up and figured I'd weight test them at home and if nothing else I'd use them as tables somewhere. Weight testing with bricks (from landscaping), me (150 lbs), and anything else I could think of makes me believe that this little 3X2 table could support easily a ton (2000 lbs) of weight. I only needed about 300 to 400 pounds for tank, water, fish, equipment, supplies etc. Table ready to go.

Placed the 27G on the 3X2, and the 10G on the 2X2 and filled em up. No problems at all. The only thing I have ever been worried about is the legs themselves punching through whatever floor the table was on. I've only ever set the table and tanks up on solid concrete base floors but I imagine if I had to place it somewhere else I could easily find a 3X2 plank of hard wood to spread the load.

After several years the only thing that bothered me about the table was that you could see under it. I saw another tank (150G) that someone had and their stand they velcroed on some fabric to cover the underneath. It looked fairly decent.

I went down to Wally World (Walmart) recently and picked up 3 yards of vinyl fabric and velcroed it around the base of the 3X2 table. Looks great and the velcro makes it easy to open up a flap to get the supplies stored under the table.

So long story short here are the expendetures.

2X2 Table: $5
3X2 Table: $8
3 Yards Vinyl: $11
Velcro: $2
Total for 2 fairly nice heavy duty aquarium stands: $26.00 US
LKH
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.09.26(Mon)14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I got a kitchen cart from a yard sale for my 30 gallon. It's sturdy, the wood is nice, and best of all, it's on wheels. I locked them down once I had it where I wanted it, so it won't move inadvertently. But if I ever need to move the tank, I can just take down the water level to about half and I should be able to roll it where I want it. It has a built in cabinet underneath for towels and tools, a drawer for nets and small stuff, a rack to hang towels on, a spice rack where I can put fish food and such, and a couple of shelves for odds and ends. Mine looks a little like this one, but there are all different woods and styles. I put a bunch of stuff on it to make sure it could bear the weight, and it's fine.

L

G. K. Chesterton (1874 - 1936)
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: