Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My Little Problem Goldfish....please help
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Fella
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.08.13(Sat)13:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

CichlidLover wrote:
I might not have told you but they a VERY SMALL. Its not like theyre all huge.. they don't need a 50GAL theyre like 7inches all together
I think its ridiculous how some peoeplexagerate and say I need a 50 GAL for 4 gold fish....well any way he died. I didn't find any of your posts helpful except the one abt fish bloat. you guys just criticied my tank size and didn't even help me at all except make me feel bad. I'm only 13 I don't have money to throw around for a 50gal for 7 inches of fish.

I know it seems unlikely, but fish only grow to the size of their tank when they need to. If you check my signature, you'll see a tank which is probably considered by many to be overstocked. Fish of 7 inches in total in a tank so small will stay small, but be more susceptible to disease, and a lot more likely to suffer.

Don't be downheartened though, everyone learns the hard way, especially at your age. I only just recently upgraded my tank. I don't mean to sound patronising, I too learned through many harsh posts of people telling me to upgrade my tank, and until recently I had a 4 gallon tank with 3 goldfish in, and I too, suffered losses.

Just as a point here is a picture of the biggest goldfish in the world, and he too is an oranda like yours -

It's worth considering that when fish are kept in tanks too small, they grow as big as they can, but their insides keep growing, forcing them to suffer disease easier, and live shorter lives.

Like I say, don't be downheartened. No one ever tells anyone this in the LFS, and I certainly was never told.
Devs
Members

PostPosted: 2005.08.13(Sat)23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Hi,I'm sorry to hear that you lost your fish.Unfortunately,what is mentioned is true.You had to many fish(small or not) in a ten gal. tank.Water changes were not being done enoughto make up for the ammonia/waste that those Goldies were probably putting out.I don't think that people are trying to be mean here,just maybe trying to keep you from losing any more fish. Smile Do you have a test kit for the Water Params? If you don't,I think as soon as you can,try to buy one.That will help yopu figure out how often,and how much water changing that you need to do on a weekly basis. Smile Good luck with the rest of your fish,I adore Goldies! Wink
CichlidLover
Members

PostPosted: 2005.10.27(Thu)21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy cow I posted this months ago and its still in the top 15???? Is there no one that keeps goldifhs here? Well anyways thanks for the help guys I now understand more about the goldfish, unfortunatly my MOM doesn't. When I went on vacation about a month since this fish mentioned died she bought 2 MORE! I came home they both had ich and I was like OMG! WHAT DID MY MOM DO!!!!! So I just went back to petco....WHY OWULD MY MOM GO THERE?!?!?!? and then returned one fish since they wouldnt let me return both....go figure... Anyways now I have 5 goldfish in the tank...I know this is bad and I'm hoping some die, not in a mean way but just because I don't want that many fish in there. Now 2 more of my fish have the disease and I'm just waiting for their death so I can keep my 2 favorite goldfish in the tank alone. Another fish my friend gave me now has popeye and should die soon...
2 GAL- Live Food Container
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.10.27(Thu)21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

CichlidLover, I guarantee you that many people here have kept goldfish, me included. I don't care to repeat advice that others have already given.

I'm sorry your mom went to that store! Have you managed to set-up a larger tank?
CichlidLover
Members

PostPosted: 2005.10.28(Fri)21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

well right now I still have the 10 Gallon. I have 3 other tanks but two are in use currently. Here is the status of all my tanks

10 Gallon - the 5 goldfish
2 gallon- usually where I keep my ghost shrimp but its empty now
55 gallon my cichlid tank, not putting the goldfish in here
and my 20 gallon which is currently holding my 85 electric yellow fry.

Well as you can see I can't get anymore tanks and also I only have a 2 gallon available for my goldfish. This is what I was planning to do:

-Wait until the one with pop eye dies then tkae him out. Then ill be left with 4 fancy goldfish

- sell the other two to my LFS or just give them to a cousin or something

- then just keep my two goldfish (one is 5 inches and the other is my cousins only 1 inch)

Good Ideas or not?
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.10.29(Sat)18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

This board is for serious fish keepers... I
CichlidLover
Members

PostPosted: 2005.10.30(Sun)17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

first of all seriously I don't want to hear it from you. I aske dwhat I shoudl do given my circumstances and all you can do is blab about how bad a fish keeper I have seriously just don't say anything then. I'm only 13 OK I don't have room for 500000 tanks in my house OK? Just tell me what I shoudl do don't say OH LOOK AT THIS GUY HES A BAD FISH KEEPER. If you want to help go ahead if not just go away and be quiet.
Dawn
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.10.30(Sun)19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, I didn't call you a bad fish-keeper nor did I tell anyone to look at you; those are your words not mine. You posted your update here for all to see and I replied to it. If you don
Charles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.11.10(Thu)16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did u change water that day?
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.11.16(Wed)7:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure, but your fish might have had Dropsy/pine cone disease. It's often seen in goldfish with the infected suffering from a swollen abdomen which causes them to have difficulty in swimming. It's often the result of a bacterial disease. It's not highly infectious, and rarely reaches epidemic proportions.

I think you should get as many fish sold to your LFSs as possible. You can keep max two fish in the 10g tank, but take note this can not be a long term arrangement. You will have to find better accommodation for the fish soon. It does not have to be a tank, it can be a pond or any thing that the fish can live comfortably. Remember you want to see the fish, they don't need to see you. If you do not want to save the sick one, You should rather remove it and put it on ice, this is better than to let it suffer. I would rather try to cure it and spare is life. Sad
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: