Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My Little Problem Goldfish....please help
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
CichlidLover
Members

PostPosted: 2005.08.03(Wed)17:10    Post subject: My Little Problem Goldfish....please help Reply with quote

well I have a goldfish with those little puffy heads (sorry for not knowing the real name lol Laughing ) but anyways...He always seems to float to the top of the tank. And recently hes just staying at the bottom and he still breathes and stuff but hes just laying there...I should get some pics up soon. Ill get them rite now...brb

EDIT: heres a picture of him....I just need to know some possible sicknesses....

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/haxsummor/fishy2.jpg
Sahara22588
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.08.03(Wed)18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't check the pic, because it's taking way too long to load.

What size tank is your fish in? If he is in something small without adequate filtration (which is usually the case with goldfish, unfortunately) he is most likely suffering from ammonia poisoning.

Give us a little background info on the tank. Hows long's it been set up?? What fish are in it??? How often do you do maintainence/water changes?? If you give us a little bit more info on your fish we can help you better.

Byez! Very Happy
CichlidLover
Members

PostPosted: 2005.08.03(Wed)18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK well of course I keep them with a filter. I'm not keeping them in bad conditions. I have had this goldfish with the other three for about 1 year now. (well hes with other goldfish and theres 4 all together in a 10GAL) Yes I cycled for a month for nitrate etc. I think naming a sickness would help me better? and how to cure it?

EDIT: oh and I also change the water every week 20% and siphoning. Oh and he just started acting weird after yesterdays water change. Even though I used medication...
f_i_s_h_
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.08.04(Thu)7:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's looking a bit miserable in the picture, but I can't see any external symptoms.

4 goldfish in a 10 gallon...you are way overstocked. Especially if they've been in there for a year. Get a 40-50 gallon tank for them.

Do you have a water test kit? Might be worth testing for problems. Keep an eye on him.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.08.04(Thu)18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that strikes me as odd is the size of the eye compared to the rest of the fish. Not a good sign according to discus keepers as it shows the fish has been stunted by conditions. However young fish do tend to have larger eyes but it still looks too large for the fish's body. I agree with what fish said. This ten gallon isn't suitable in the long run for 4 goldfish.

Last edited by nonamethefish on 2005.08.04(Thu)20:21; edited 1 time in total
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.08.04(Thu)19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds Like a swim bladder Problem to me. Golds can sink or float when sick from swim bladder issues. so try treating for it and see otherwise post a lot more info and get a bigger tank Wink Rolling Eyes

Glitch

Edit check out this site its all focused on golds http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/

I want More Snow!
CichlidLover
Members

PostPosted: 2005.08.09(Tue)16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might not have told you but they a VERY SMALL. Its not like theyre all huge.. they don't need a 50GAL theyre like 7inches all together
I think its ridiculous how some peoeplexagerate and say I need a 50 GAL for 4 gold fish....well any way he died. I didn't find any of your posts helpful except the one abt fish bloat. you guys just criticied my tank size and didn't even help me at all except make me feel bad. I'm only 13 I don't have money to throw around for a 50gal for 7 inches of fish.
2 GAL- Live Food Container
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.08.09(Tue)17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry he died and sorry you felt attacked the picture made me think they were bigger Embarassed I hope you still hang out here because we need more goldfish keepers. Wink
Some of us don't ask questions like we should and spout off with out complete information. though you will still likely here "get a bigger tank" and golds grow rather quickly so I would suggest just keeping an Eye out for tanks at garage sale's so you won't have to spend too much.

Glitch
Good luck hope to see ya around still

I want More Snow!
Grumby36
Members

PostPosted: 2005.08.10(Wed)17:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad I am very sorry you lost your fish. I, like you, find that everyone here is very ready to find fault with tank size or condition. Perhaps now at least some will be advised that that prejudging is not very helpful. I no longer post questions here for that reason. I come in and read the board only. sometimes it has good information.
Flurry
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.08.13(Sat)10:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason why you need roughly ten gallons per goldfish is because how MASSIVE they get and the amount of waste they produce. They are constantly digging around in the substrate and upsetting the ammonia in the gravel. Comets can grow to be 12 inches. Black moores and lion heads can grow to be 7 inches long and a couple inches thick. That's why the rule of thumb for goldfish is 15-20 gallons for one fish, and then 10 gallons for each additional fish. They can live for 20 years if given that space. If not, their growth will be stunted, and they will only live a quarter of their lifespan.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: