Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tropical Pond??
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Cher_Rox
Members

PostPosted: 2005.07.27(Wed)13:10    Post subject: Tropical Pond?? Reply with quote

I was just wondering if I could possibly keep fish, other than koi/goldies, in a outside pond (yearround). I live in Arizona and during the summer it gets to be around 117degress F. I would like to have big cichlids in the pond. I've never had a pond and so I'm posting for advice.
LittleMousling
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.07.27(Wed)16:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's actually pretty common - I have Chalinochromis and L. hecqui "tubbing" right now. The problem with your area isn't cold - it's heat. 117 degrees will easily suffocate nearly any fish. To successfully keep fish outside, you're going to need as large a tub or pond as possible (large bodies of water heat more slowly and have a greater surface area for gas exchange) that's very well shaded (artificial - a tarp, even - until/unless you can get significant plant growth covering the pond) and has extremely good water movement - fountains, filters, waterfalls, whatever.

If you can keep it cool, you can absolutely keep tropicals out there, probably for much more of the year than the rest of us get to. Smile
Cher_Rox
Members

PostPosted: 2005.07.27(Wed)20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks so much. Would the shade prevent the amount of plants I could grow in the water??? Also, would making it deeper also help cool it down. This is great news!!!
LittleMousling
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.07.28(Thu)6:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, deeper would be one of the best ways to keep it cool.

Shade would indeed hinder plant growth but the basic idea would be to let the plant growth become the shade - ideally, you'd start the pond up in early spring (without fish, if it's too cold) getting lilies, water hyacinth, and in this case I'd recommend a lot of duckweed, started nice and early. That way, by the heat of summer they'd hopefully have shaded the pond enough that additional cover wouldn't be necessary.
If you started one now, though, a tarp would be the only safe bet IMO, until things start to cool down towards fall.
Cher_Rox
Members

PostPosted: 2005.07.28(Thu)13:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the plants! They're beautiful!!

What if I planted a small tree on the eastern side of the pond. One that isn't too bushy, so the light would be filtered instead of direct???? Would I still be able to grow the (water)plants?? I really appreaciate everything you have explained so far!

Very Happy
LittleMousling
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.07.28(Thu)18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with a tree is that the leaves will fall into the pond. This is a maintenance nightmare, and the leaves of many trees can poison a pond. All in all, it's just not worth it.

Glad you like the plants. Smile
Cher_Rox
Members

PostPosted: 2005.07.28(Thu)19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... what if I plant the tree a safe distance away from the pond. So in the morning it casts a shadow on the pond keeping it cooler. That way during the middle of the day the pond only heats up for a short time. Am I making sence?? LOL Either way, will the plants do OK even if it's really hot outside? Sorry for all the questions. Rolling Eyes
LittleMousling
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.07.29(Fri)6:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the plants can take the heat; choose tropical varieties and ask your dealer for advice.

I see what you're going for with the tree, but honestly it's just not worth it, even at a distance. Some well-placed boulders could help shade part of it, and you can always start growing duckweed inside now so you have tons as a quick cover-up.
Cher_Rox
Members

PostPosted: 2005.07.29(Fri)12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very true! LOL You've helped me a ton! Thanks so much. If I have anymore questions I'll make sure to post them.
Cher_Rox
Members

PostPosted: 2005.07.30(Sat)2:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm.. I know this sounds crazy... but would it be possible to keep discus in a pond? I read that they need higher water temperature than most fish. Also, I don't plan on having tons of fish in my pond. I've read about the mistake people make by adding too many fish, even if it doesn't look like too many.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: