Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Balck fish...?
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Dwindle
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.07.25(Mon)9:01    Post subject: Balck fish...? Reply with quote

In the pond in our backyard, we have a few butterfly koi and some other things that I'm not sure of. We have some calico colored fish, some orange, and some dark, almost red fish. They do breed sometimes and one year, they had black colored fry. How does this happen if none of our fish have black in them?
LittleMousling
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.07.25(Mon)17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fry are black at a very young age so they can hide more effectively. They'll turn an olive color next, and then start moving towards more familiar colors, though their colors can change throughout their lives, especially in the first few years.
Dwindle
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.08.10(Wed)16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice that I wrote "One year, they had black colored fry". By this I mean like two years ago. I was wondering, however because at first I just thought it was weird, not a problem or anything. But now the older fish are dying off and more of our fish are black colered than bright colored. Our pond is pretty clean, but no matter how clear the water is, it's very hard to see the black fish. There are only three colored fish left in the pond and a whole lot of black fish. The black fish don't seem to be changing color either. Do you think it's possible that eventually, the whole pond will have black fish? (I'm not racist, they're just hard to see!)
LittleMousling
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.08.11(Thu)9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's quite possible. Goldfish genes are quite varied and changeable; it's one of the reasons they're so popular for breeding.
But are you sure the fish are black, and not a dark olive sort of color? Reverting to wild-type color is extremely common over time.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.11.14(Mon)11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same thing is happining to my gold fish, the old ones stay gold, but the younger ones are turning black. Not one of my fish has died to date. Smile
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: