Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY rock cave
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
fishio123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.07.20(Wed)18:50    Post subject: DIY rock cave Reply with quote

Looking for a natural looking cave for your bottom dwellers and cichlids without having to pay for over-priced ones at the lfs? Here's a smart DIY rock cave that I tried with success:

1.) I got some small rocks and some that are flat, scrubbed them, examined to make sure there aren't any irons, metals, and harmful things like that.

2.) Use AQUARIUM SAFE sealent to glue together some rocks, and make it form a cave. Rocks that are flat should be use as the "roof" of the cave and bigger, more round ones should be used at the bottom for support.

3.) Let it dry. *It's a good idea to complete the cave in sections. Do one section a day, so there's time for the sealent to dry/stablize before you add more rocks. Or else too much pressure on the un-dry glue might cause the cave to collapse. Learned that the hard way... Mad

4.) After you're done with everything, let it rest for 48 hours. Rinse it once more under water. (I soaked it in old aquarium water, just to be safe). Set it in the aquarium, and let your fishies enjoy the nice shade!

It's simple, but it's good! Feedbacks on improvements, safety, etc., are really appreciated!
Blue Fish
Arrow
Members

PostPosted: 2005.07.21(Thu)18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there fishio123, just finished one of these myself...I found I had to leave it for over a week to cure basicly untill vinigear smell was gone. Just my 2cents Very Happy

cool post!!

Oh yeah buy aquarium sealent from hardware store not LFS tons cheaper for same stuff!!!
Ryank327
Members

PostPosted: 2005.07.21(Thu)22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the aquarium safe sealants I know at hardware store is GE I its in the blue and silver tube. It actually use to say aquarium safe but they took it off cause people started suing when their home made tanks leaked busted and such.

tanks all FW

1g, 5g, 2 10gallons, 20g long, 30g tall, 75g
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: