Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY Canopy Enough Light?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
pianodog
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.07.13(Wed)11:52    Post subject: DIY Canopy Enough Light? Reply with quote

Hi all,

is this enough light for a 50 Gallon, plants, community tank? I am doing a DIY Canopy and I was wandering if this will be enough.

Part 30552 - 2 x 55 watt Bright Kit
Includes; one two-bulb, 14 ounce, solid-state electronic ballast; two 22"L x 4"W x 2"H multi-angle MIRO 4 enhanced, polished aluminum reflectors; two moisture-resistant endcaps with cords; four steel bulb holders; one grounding power cord; wirenuts and screws needed for installation; optional-use pop-in vent covers, snap bushing, cord strain relief bushing, cord clamps and nylon spacers; and ballast operation information and wiring diagrams. Requires two 55 watt compact fluorescent bulbs (not included).

One of this:
Part 15550 - 55 Watt 5000K Compact Bulb
Warm daylight. Full spectrum. Use on a freshwater planted tank when you want to have the effect of sunlight filtered through a forest canopy.

One of this:
Part 11556 - 55 Watt 6700K Compact Fluorescent Bulb
Very bright, clear white light. Like daylight in the middle of the afternoon under a clear blue sky.

Thanks in advance for all the help that you guys have provide,

Luis
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.07.13(Wed)13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are in the "danger" zone of 2wpg... be afraid, be very afraid!

Only kidding, tom barr will have some great info for you, google him and you should be able to get the website...

some folks can grow almost anything w/ 2 wpg, and those lights will work fine... add co2, a good fert filled substrate, macro and micro/trace dosing and regular water changes via barr's est. index and you're good to go...

so in other words... yup, those two bulbs will work great! Now, if you can afford to add a third... Wink

I should add, when you buy the bulbs, make sure the pins match up... some take square pin, others straight... I'm sure however, whatever you are buying from will tell you what type of pin placement to get...
pianodog
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.07.13(Wed)13:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you MattTVI,

that was a great answer. Now regarding the third light, the problem is not the money, the problem is the space (room) under the hood, any ideas?

Thanks for the comment,

Luis

P.S.

I am running a DIY CO2 Yeast for now, once I get my 90G running I am planning to run a line from that tanks CO2 sys in to the 50G tanks reactor, if possible, that way I can take out the yeast part, but I have to admit I enjoy seeing this guys all happy eating the sugar.
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.07.13(Wed)13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are your dimensons (tank and hood)? Is this the 30" wide oceanic 50g? If so, that's one of my favorite tanks...
pianodog
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.07.13(Wed)13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that this is one crazy tank, it was a present, the size is:

24.75LX17.75WX24.75H

Area: 431.88
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.07.13(Wed)14:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you purchased the above lighting system yet?
pianodog
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.07.13(Wed)14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I am placing the order this Friday, as I am waiting for the glass and piano hinge to arrive, why?
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.07.14(Thu)6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, I was going to suggest Aquarium Hobbyist Supply, but then I rechecked your part numbers! With their reflectors and the bulbs you've chosen, you probably don't need to add another 55 watts. Good choice and good luck!
pianodog
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.07.14(Thu)12:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

I don't know if you still watching this post, if you are this is the deal; I might be able to fit a single light kit in the hood after all, do you think I need it?

Thanks again,

Luis
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.07.14(Thu)12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

24" high is pretty... well, high... so as much lighting as you can fit in there will probably be best, AH makes great reflectors, so if you can only put 110 watts of pc lighting over it, you should still be all right... hope that helps!
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: