Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Cloudy/milky/hazy water problems...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Todd Smith
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.08.03(Wed)6:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to all.

Thanks to the people who offered advice regarding my cloudy water.

I suspect that several conditions contributed to the cloudy conditions in my tank. I had replaced a less powerful powerhead with a much more powerful model slightly before the cloudiness occured. Later, in an attempt to fix this problem I replaced the other powerhead. I think that all the good stuff living beneath the gravel was sucked up by the two powerheads and then filtered out by my filtration system. Then, to complicate matters, when I tested my water on the many occasions during this period, I think I screwed up my test results for the Nitrites and Nitrates.

Massive water changes only helped for the short run and probably contributed to what I am assuming was a loss of beneficial bacteria. I also am assuming that as these large fish grew larger that requiremnets for oxegynating the water also changed.

I am now the bubble fiend. Lots of Oxegyn percolating through my tank. I introduced some bacteria into the tank and have balanced my Nitrite/Nitrate situation. Voila!!!! Clear water and very few water changes. Phew!

Now if I could get my Black Shark to stop lying to visitors about how little I feed him.

Again, thanks to all of you.

t Laughing
jwrigley
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.16(Mon)6:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a quick question, is a diatom filter like the otto internal powerfilters?
I've never heard of a diatom filter but after washing my gravle sevral times is was still cloudy but in a day or two th eugf and the otto cleaned it up to crystal. Cheers,
James.
Mike O
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.21(Tue)18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a relatively new tank. Within one month old. First two weeks of setting up I lost two batches of fish. I then started over, cleaned and steralized the tank and left it for a few days before starting fresh.

I have now set up again, and my water has gone cloudy. I haven't lost any fish, but it looks very cloudy when my light is on. I have a flourescent light, could that make it appear cloudier than it really is? Sometimes in the daylight it looks alright but other times it looks cloudy as well.

I have tried, Clarity, but that made the water worse for about two days, and I ended up doing a fairly large water change.

I am getting frustrated with not having a nice clear tank of water. I know I am relatively new at this aquarium thing, but thought I'd be able to keep clear water at least! :)

Any advice?

Mike
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.09(Wed)12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike O wrote:
I have a relatively new tank. Within one month old. First two weeks of setting up I lost two batches of fish. I then started over, cleaned and steralized the tank and left it for a few days before starting fresh.

Hi Mike,

Did you cycle your tank before you put your fish in it? If not, that's probably why they've been dying on you. You should read this article to understand why cycling is important. I have a new tank too, and I didn't lose any fish. ; )

It doesn't sound like you're waiting long enough for the water to clear out. It can take several days for this to happen (mine did when I first set up my tank, and I just let it clear by itself).

Did you read the early posts in this thread? There are several explanations on the first pages that will help you manage your cloudy water. Good luck!
dymmig89
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.09.04(Mon)18:12    Post subject: Mysterious Cloudy Water Reply with quote

OK, this has stumped a reputiable (hopefully I spelt that right) fish store. I purchased a 20 gal tank with a aquatech power filter and let it run for two weeks with no fish in it, at the end of the first week it began to get cloudy. I went to the store and lowered the pH to around 7. I let it run when I went on vacation and when I got back it was almost to the point where I could not see anything. I went back to the store and the manager was there. He said it may be the start up tabs made by jungle that I used in the beginning, so he gave me some water from an established tank to put in and said it may be healthy for the tank to put some fish in. I got 2 gold barbs, a tri color shark, a ruby shark, and a coby catfish. I put the water in and the fish and they seem to be fine but the water is still cloudy. It got a little better and then stopped. Can anyone help me get rid of this? I have pictures on my computer if anyone would need them to see what the problem would be.[/img]
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.09.04(Mon)19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the beginning of this thread and read the second post by Steve Hampton. In your situation I would guess algae bloom/green water. It doesn't always make water look green, sometimes it just looks cloudy. But read his post and see what makes sense to you.

~Haname
dymmig89
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.09.04(Mon)19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try the blackout, do I still run the filter? I am going to give it a few days first. If that does not work then I'll try that.
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.09.04(Mon)19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, keep running the filter. I hope it clears up for you soon, keep us posted.

~Haname
dymmig89
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.09.05(Tue)4:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I also give my fish some light during the day?
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.09.05(Tue)10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

During a blackout, the object is to keep the tank completely blacked out for the duration. So no, don't give any light to the fish until it's over.

~Haname
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to: