Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Cloudy/milky/hazy water problems...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
DawnWhellam41
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.14(Sat)5:35    Post subject: /Sand\ Urgent Reply with quote

l8r today or tommorow I am
going to get some sand Very Happy
Do I want until the water and sand have settled before adding the filter?
fishboy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.14(Sat)5:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good idea to give the sand a thorough washing before adding it to the tank. But, no matter how much you wash it, it will still make the water at least a little cloudy. You will want to make sure that all the sand is settled before you start up the filter(you don't want sand getting into the impeller), but once the sand is settled and the water is just cloudy, you can start up the filter to help get rid of the particulate matter. Hope this helps!
ecajberry
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.15(Sun)2:36    Post subject: Milky haze still there?? Reply with quote

Tank finally cycled
50% water change
fish seem happier

but the water still has a white milky haze, its always had it since it began cycling, gets bad when things get stirred up.

do I need to look into better filtration or what?

could I have to much gravel in the tank?
have about an inch in front and up to 4 inches in the back, could that be restricting the UGF to much?

I want clean clear water!!
ecajberry
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.15(Sun)11:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been reading a lot about just how crappy these UGF's seem to be, and I am seriously considering removing it all together.
Since my fish population is currently at 3 in a 30 gallon tank, I think I will undertake this chore and maybe go thru another cycle because of it, hopefully a short one, but it sounds like the tank will be better off without it, and even allow some live plants to be introduced as well.

I assume the Aqua Clear 200 will be enough for water filtration?
If not I will deal with that as the need arises.
The Old Salt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.15(Sun)11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, apparently you assume wrong.

Your gravel is very lopsided. 2 inches in the front and 3 in the back is more like it. I have a 30 gallon long with an UGF and an AC200 and my water is spotless.

On the other hand, I have a 20 long that couldn't clear up at all until I added a little corner filter; you know, one of those "Crystal Clear" jobbies. It worked like a charm.
Froggity
Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.19(Thu)16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juat a thought..... If you havent yet vacuumed your gravel it might just be gravel dust, especially if it only happens when you stir it up. I find that it doesn't matter how much I rinse it beforehand the water can still end up a little cloudy when I'm setting up a new tank or even if I'm planting in an established tank that hasn't yet been vacuumed.
Try gravel vacuuming it, one portion at each water change, and if it is just gravel dust the problem should disappear in no time.
kittentaboo
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.28(Sat)23:29    Post subject: Cloudy water?? Reply with quote

Hello!

I am not an overly experienced fish owner... I've had a little 10 gal tank for maybe 2 years now, and now I'm experiencing cloudy water for the first time.

Over the past few days I did some pH tests, added something to neutralize the pH of the water, added 4 tetras, stress coat, etc... nothing I thought was too drastic... but after a little more than a day of having my neon tetras, the water has become cloudy...

I don't know what causes the water to get cloudy like this. I've never had it happen before... I've had a few live bearers, a couple corys, and an otocynclus over time and I've never had this problem before. Can anyone give me suggestions of what the cloudy water means and how I can treat it so that it doesn't somehow harm my fish? Sad

(Presently there are 4 neon tetras, 1 otocynclus, and 1 spotted cory in my tank.)
The Chaos Theory
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.06.29(Sun)0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh well I'm not sure on the cloudy water but id like to address some other issues I see. First of all I highly recommend bumping your neon school to at least 6. Also cories love groups so I would suggest at least 3 (though you may need the pigmy species for such a small tank). Same with the oto's they like others of their own species.
I would not recommend adding pH altering products, the fish you have there can likely withstand the pH of your tap water, so its better not to add those.
What kind of substrate do you have? Was the tank empty of water before you added those fish in? Do you have a filter running on it (what kind?).
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.06.29(Sun)0:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other question are:

1) Can you post your water parameters?
2) How often do you do water chagnes?
And how much?
kittentaboo
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.06.29(Sun)10:09    Post subject: insert subject here Reply with quote

Yes, I realize my cory and oto would LIKE companions... however I am a working college student who doesn't always have a lot of spare cash. (I did have atleast 1 companion for each, but they are deceased now!) x_X I would have bought another cory and oto the past week, but I heard you shouldn't add too many fish at once... so I stopped at the tetras for the time being. Smile If anyone doesn't think my tank is too small for 2 more neons and 2 more corys and 2 more otos then sure, I'll add them. It just kind of sounds like a lot. Sad

I used to do a 25% water change every few weeks... and now I am doing a 10% every week... errr the filter I have is a top fin? It came with the tank. Water parameters... hmm... well the temperature right now is about 27 degress C... my pH used to be VERY HIGH (which is why I added the neutralizer), and now it is at 7... I am not sure what else you would like to know, I think that's about all I can tell you. The cloudiness is clearing up a little bit. Last night I turned on my air pump again to help keep the temperature lower now that it's really hot around here... perhaps the oxygen is helping?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to: