Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What does a guy have to do to get activated?
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Liquidtopaz26

PostPosted: 2005.06.09(Thu)1:02    Post subject: What does a guy have to do to get activated? Reply with quote

It's been over five days since I registered to join this site and I've still not received the e-mail to activate my account - despited filling out the contacts form to inform Age of Aquariums about this (which met with no response other than the automatic sendout e-mail to confirm my message to them). I've never been a member before, so it's not an issue of rejection for previous conduct, etc. so what's the problem? Crying or Very sad
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.06.09(Thu)2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you're the one who registered as Liquidtopaz27 (not Liquidtopaz26), and the automatic e-mail with the activation code was problably filtered or blocked by your mail service.

I've activated your account manually.

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Liquidtopaz26

PostPosted: 2005.06.09(Thu)3:49    Post subject: What's a guy have to do, etc. Reply with quote

Thanks, Marcos.

Liquidtopaz27 is me ( Very Happy ).

I'll give the activation a test after I've finished some urgent work I've to attend to.

Thanks again.

Peter
Liquidtopaz27
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.06.09(Thu)9:39    Post subject: Logged in okay as Liquidtopaz27 - thanks. Reply with quote

This is some site you guys have got going here!
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.06.09(Thu)10:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, welcome to the board, glad they were able to get your ID working!
Liquidtopaz27
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.06.09(Thu)11:00    Post subject: Thanks, MattTVI Reply with quote

It feels a bit strange saying hi on the Site Issues board.

I don't actually have a fish tank yet - and I've never owned an aquarium, but I'm saving up to get a really good-un of about 700 litres (should be able to afford it in about two or three months' time). The info on these boards is like gold for someone like me who's just starting the adventure!

Thanks again for saying hi. Smile
Fishkeeper55
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.06.10(Fri)11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

what fish do u plan on putting in your tank?
R.I.P. Sean Taylor #21
Liquidtopaz27
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.06.10(Fri)14:18    Post subject: Fish to put in my tank. Reply with quote

Hi Fishkeeper55 Smile

This is of course a matter of utmost importance. As I'm just starting out in the hobby, the fish have to be quite easy to keep. So I'm not expecting to keep fish that are very sensitive to water quality or that are very susceptible to disease if the water chemistry isn't just right for them. The fish need to be quite hardy and not too fussy about what they like to eat. Temperament is important, too, so no generally aggressive fish and definitely no fin nippers. Much as I'd love to keep cichlids (because they've got great personalities and fascinating breeding habits), I'll probably avoid a lot of them because they tend to be rather territorially aggressive. Fish that are too big (for me that means anything over 5 inches) and predatory fish are also out. Everything else is in, particularly fairly small active shoaling fish like many of the tetras and cyprinids.

Some of the fish that have particularly caught my attention and that I'd (some day) like to keep are:

The Blue Flash (Cyprichromis leptosoma - one of the less aggressive cichlids that is one of the few cichlids I've come across that likes to swim at the top and middle layers of the water column).

Goby Cichlids. (e.g. Eretmodus sp. The males are intolerant of one another, but once males and females pair up they form very strong bonds (which is sweet) and they're peaceful towards non-conspecific tankmates so long as they keep themselves to the upper levels of the water column).

Golden Lamprologus (Lamprologus ocellatus). These seem to be adorable little fish that require the aquarist to provide them with empty snail shells. Because their territorial range is small they're quite good to keep in a conspecific aquarium, so long as the tank is big enough.

The Banjo Catfish (Bunocephalus hypsiurus - NOT Disichthys coracoideus) - basically because he's the oddest-looking critter in the book, he doesn't grow too big and he's easy to keep.

Angelicus Pim (Pimelodus pictus). Although they can grow a little bigger than I'd like at 6in, these are very striking catfish when kept in good condition. (They also tend to be predatory, so keeping them with fish like small tetras is a big no no).

Elephantnose (Gnathonemus petersii). Ideally these fish (which are often kept as single specimens in the aquarium) ought to be kept in a group of at least six in order that their aggression gets 'evened out' so that one guy doesn't get bullied to excess, and also in order so that their fascinating behaviour can be fully appreciated. (These fish, believe it or not, actually have a bigger sized brain relative to body size that we humans - that, of course, doesn't mean they're all Albert Einsteins, but it does provide for a very smart and interesting fish to keep, and many hours of scientific research have gone into studying petersii behaviour). Unfortunately they grow up to 9inches, so I'd have to get a huge tank to keep as many as six.

A fish I DO NOT want to keep is the Tiger Barb (Barbus tetrazona). His fin nipping activities are a big put off for me. But every fish, it seems, has its champions and no doubt there will be many who contribute to these boards who will be enthusiastic about keeping this fish.

Likewise the Buenos Aires Tetra (Hemigrammus caudovittatus) is out because of its penchant for eating succulent plants.

I'm doing my research by reading the stuff that's on the net and from an 'encyclopaedia' on freshwater fish. I've also got two fish databases that I'm currently filling in, one is a commercial database (from Aquarix Software) and the other I've created myself. I've just finished putting in suitable candidates from the Loaches and Suckers section of the encyclopaedia and I'm just starting on the Gouramis and Relatives section.

The last fish I added to my database was the Orange Bushfish (Ctenopoma ansorgii) and the next one to go in will be the Dwarf Bushfish (Ctenopoma nanum).

When the fish database is done, I'll start a plant database then an invertebrate database and finally a turtle database.

Needless to say I
Fishkeeper55
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.06.12(Sun)14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about kribs? (Pelvicachromis Pulcher)

they don't get to big
(about 4 in.)

they are peaceful except around breeding when they are territorial

pretty easy to breed, I breed them and it is pretty easy provided with a nice little good old fashion cave

their water conditions pH, hardness, etc. is not critical

kind-of have their own personality and are cool/beautiful fish

are not picky on food but mine love blackworms and a variety of frozen foods

and are a truly fun fish to keep!

just giving you a suggestion! Exclamation Very Happy
R.I.P. Sean Taylor #21
Liquidtopaz27
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.06.13(Mon)16:50    Post subject: Kribs Reply with quote

Thanks, Jared

Kribs seem to be an excellent choice for the beginner - they have all the positive attributes of cichlids, minus a lot of the hassle.

Definitely a fish for me to think about getting for my new aquarium.

Great suggestion Very Happy

Pete
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: