Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Goldfishes are hiding behind waterfall most of the time!
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
fungus
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.06.17(Fri)3:52    Post subject: Goldfishes are hiding behind waterfall most of the time! Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm totally a newbie and know nothing about fishes. Please bare with me as I didn't have a clue of what these fishes names are. Recently my dad installed a small-sized pond (about 2m x 2m) with waterfall (water coming down from rocks)... There's like 3 medium-sized goldfishes (which shaped like a koi) and a school of small, orange fishes (some are quite discolored) that swim quiet fast together.

The small orange fishes are okay I guess but the 3 goldfishes are acting weird. They didn't seem to come out and swim around the pond. Instead the 3 of them are hiding quietly behind the water stream in the corner. Is this normal? Are they sick or something wrong? When I turn off the water pump they will freak out and try to hid some where else in the corner where its dark! Please help guys! I'm totally clueless! I can take some photos if necessary. Crying or Very sad
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.06.21(Tue)0:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fungus,
Your fish sound OK to me. They are simply stressed out and exhibiting normal self preservation behavior. For a fish to swim in open water where avian and terrestrial predators can easily spot and catch them is odd if you think about it. The world above is very dangerous to a fish. Usually goldfish and Koi will calm down after a while and become de-sensitised to their suroundings, especially if you move slowly and establish a consistant routine when feeding.
Always approach the pond at the same spot, gently wiggle the water with your fingers and feed some pellets. The fish will soon recognise this behavior as feeding time and come out to meet you.
If you don't do this routinely the fish will always see you as a threat (or if you make big splashy movements or chase them with a net).
You can also reduce their stress by providing hiding places such as a piece of slate placed on top of some bricks or some lilies etc... Something they can hide underneath.
Hope this helps,
Good luck!
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.06.21(Tue)12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't already...add plants. This does a lot to decrease shyness. Makes the fish more secure knowing that should danger threaten they can easily retreat and be safe.

Your little orange fish sound like rosy red minnows.
jacqueline
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.06.22(Wed)7:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I had a horrible experience with my pond and some large fish eating birds that I did not even know were around this area. Let's just say when Igot home from work - I walked outside to find 1 of these large birds dining on my koi and my pond all stirred up and no signs of life.

2 weeks later I was so disheartened that in a fit of rage I started to drain the pond and low and behold there were my koi and goidfish - the poor things were so scared they had been successfully hiding and had no idea they were still alive. While I lost quite a few of my fish - I was overjoyed to find some "hiding'. It did take a long time before they ventured out from there hidey holes and I am sure your fish will venture out once they feel safe.

I have not covered my pond with a removable chicken wire frame. Looks odd - but the fish are fine:)
honmol

PostPosted: 2005.10.14(Fri)1:42    Post subject: Hiding Goldfish Reply with quote

I Agree. Fish Need Hiding Spots To Feel Secure. Give them a routine and give them some time. You might also consider adding a cave like place. Try finding out exactly what they are and finding out anything that could make them feel safer.
f_i_s_h_
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.10.20(Thu)17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many gallons of water does the pond contain?
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.10.22(Sat)13:02    Post subject: how long has it been running? Reply with quote

If this pond is still new, the fish may be stressed from high ammonia or nitrites. Do you clean the filter? do you do small water changes? Is the bottom of the pond nasty?
110 and 58 gallons 17 adult discus
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.11.23(Wed)11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

It couldn
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: