Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Raising/Lowering Hardness (GH and KH)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.07.02(Sat)23:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it might have been this acid buffer stuff I was using to try to lower the pH. I noticed my previous readings for GH was lower (about 160 ppm), but my KH was a lot higher (130 ppm). Since adding acid buffer for a week, my KH dropped, but the GH rose. I'm guessing the calcium carbonate was being converted to calcium.

As far as what caused those levels in the first place, I had some tuffa rock in my tank and a couple shells. My gravel also might have been adding to the mineral content of the tank (not sure what's in it).
fmsurfside
Members

PostPosted: 2005.08.10(Wed)17:04    Post subject: I need to make my soft water harder Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I have a fairly new 29 gal tank that I'm cycling with 1 Pleco and 2 Mollies. My water hardness is 25 and I was told that this is too soft for Mollies. One female died Sunday and the last female has, what I'm told, the Shakes. Does anyone know of a natural way to increase the hardness? Also, I'm thinking of getting an angel and a male betta in a couple of months when my tanks settles down so I don't want the GH to be too hard for them.

I was told crushed coral will work, but how long does it take before the GH goes up? Will aquarium salt work?

Thanks for your help.
EndlersMom
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.08.10(Wed)18:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

fmsurfside let me get this straight.

Your GH is 25. This is fine for some mollies. Mollies also like salt.
I am assuming by 25 you mean 25 GH which is the units that aquarium kits measure in.

If it is 25ppm, then ignore most of this post.

your pelco probably does not. Most pelcos like at most 15 GH some go to 25GH and no salt.

You are cycling with these fish, there for you are poisioning these fish.

THe shakes may have been nitrIte poisioning.

I am not sure of the GH Angelfish like, but I really do not think it is more then 10 and probably less.

Bettas like 25 GH.

I would not alter the GH right now. The mollies are more effected by the cycling they are going through.

I am not sure if a betta and angelfish do well together.

You will need to figure out what water hardness GH you will like your water to have and what fish like that water.

THere are a few recent posts in the Disease section of what happens to fish going through a tank cycle. Are there any simularities with what you have noticed
EndlersMom
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.08.19(Fri)7:28    Post subject: Hardness Units from around the world. Reply with quote

I was at the library last night. They do not have much in the way of English books so I picked up a few French ones. Most are from France.

I knew most of the info will be difficult to understand and a small misunderstanding could spell a disaster, so I took the ones that have nice aquascaping, pictures and basic info.

I picked up one because the chemistry section was intresting. It was on unit conversion for Hardness.

Since The Age of Aquariums is an International board, I am posting these so we may have a better understanding if other units are used or posters come here using different units. There test may be right, but they may sound off to us if do not know that these units exist.

I will use * for the degree sign.

French Degree (Book states used in French speaking countries.)
*TH = 10 mg/L CaCO3

German Degree (Book states it is used primarily in Germany and Holland)
*DH or GH = 10 mg/L CaO Idea

English and American Measurements (Book states Can be used by us, I am assuming France.)
1* English = 1,43 *TH = 0,8 *DH
1 ppm USA = 0,1 *TH = 0,056 *DH Arrow

In a chart they give:
1 *TH = 0,56 *DH
1 *DH = 1,78 *TH Arrow

The book also states that 1 *TH = 10 mg/L CaCO3 = 4 mg/L Ca

The book is called Le Nouveau Manuel de L'aquarium by THierry Maitre-Allain

From the two Arrow and the Idea the familiar 17.8 ppm = 1 *DH = 1GH

We actually use 17.9 ppm

We need to be careful when mg/L is used we need to know if it for CaCO3 or CaO

Enjoy Cool
beachbum21984
Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.13(Tue)14:05    Post subject: freshwater aquarium chemistry Reply with quote

just trying to find out a little more information on the subject I understand it a little but how to lower like hardness and alkalinity and such remains a mystery to me if you have any links or know anything off the top of your head please let me know thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.09.13(Tue)15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardly anyone seems to understand it...
Laughing

OK, KH refers to carbonate hardness and is the most common buffer (like a base) in fresh water. Baking Soda is calcium carbonate which would be a lot of what is measured by KH.
Now you know what happens when vinegar, an acid hits that base right?

GH or hard water refers to how much calcium and magnesium is in the water. Water is hard when there is a lot of these two... Hard water conducts electricity. Other molecules will act like Calcium and magnesium but they are usually in small amounts in fresh water.

pH is the measure of hydrogen or H+, aka acids, in the water versus OH- or bases in the water.

KH and GH are often high together, but not always the case.

To lower GH and KH, you need more pure H2O... reverse osmosis filters or distilled water is almost just H2O. You can mix pure H2O in with other harder water to make soft water.

Having explained all that, most fish do not need you to mess with pH, GH and KH so before you start playing with the chemistry, have pity on yourself and make sure you NEED to 1st.

HTH
beachbum21984
Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.13(Tue)16:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I would never go and change the chemisty around when I'm having good luck with my tank, I have just never understood the meanings and such thanks for the quick reply!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rescueone
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.14(Wed)6:40    Post subject: Water Hardness Qustion Reply with quote

I have 2 Biube's and I have a water hardness (GH) question is there anything on the market that I can use to get the hardness of the water in the tanks down.
It's sitting when I use the 5 in 1 Tetra water test strips at the top end of the scale (ie 3 purple square's).
I have removed the Buffer from the filter cartrage and it's made no difference.
I carry out a 5 ltr water change once a week and all the water goes through a water filter.

Anyone have any Idea's

Thanks in advance

Dave Wink
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.09.14(Wed)9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you need to lower the hardness of the water? I fthere is a reason, I could offer youu the right advice to lower the GH to an appropriate level for your intentions.

FWIW most fish are fine in hard water.
Rescueone
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.09.14(Wed)13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thanks for the reply I'm new to this and I thought that to hard a water was not a good idea.
I have 2 Biube's with 21 fish in each all seem fine apart from the hardness all the other tests are spot on.
As I said I thought that to have the water too hard was not a good idea but if you say it's fine then thats fine by me and I'll stop worrying about it.

Thanks again

Dave Wink
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to: