Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
koi in cold weather
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
LOgan SLOgan
Members

PostPosted: 2005.06.08(Wed)22:28    Post subject: koi in cold weather Reply with quote

I might be setting up a goldfish/koi pond and I was wandering if koi can survive in low temps like around 3 degrees or so?
It won't be that cold for the whole year just 3 months of the year.

Thanks

THE CHEAT
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.06.09(Thu)18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the pond is going to freeze over in the winter it is not a good idea to leave the koi outside. Sure, they will survive, but they won't make it through many winters. Many koi keepers will bring the fish inside in the winter. One issue in Aquarium Fish Magazine detailed how to build an "indoor pond" for koi during the winter. I could find out which issue if you are interested.
LOgan SLOgan
Members

PostPosted: 2005.06.09(Thu)22:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my friend has kept a goldfish in a pond for somtime
allso on the freezing its kinda depends on if its a good year or a bad year somtimes snow/ ice somtimes none
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.06.09(Thu)23:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goldfish are generally considered more cold hardy than koi, but still don't like freezing water and will do much better if protected from it the ay koi are. But again, one freezing winter won't kill the koi, heck, they may even survive several. But you can't expect them to live the incredibly long lifespans captive koi are capable of.
Fishkeeper55
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.06.10(Fri)11:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noname you get Aquarium fish magazine, I get it to and think it is a wonderful magzine!
R.I.P. Sean Taylor #21
~sunshine~
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.07.25(Mon)21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing to do is use a large heater for the pond, to make sure the pond is somewhere around 70 degrees ferenhiet. If it doesn't heat the whole thing, your fish will just croud around the heater during the winter.

Hope this helps Cool

http://www.deathbydyeing.org/ take a look. you'll be pretty surprised
piranha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.07.30(Sat)23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some commons in a pond and have been doing well in our cold winter months.The noxous gases if not given a place to escape will kill the fish. You need a de-icer to keep a surface area of the pond ice-free. It would be way to expensive to run a heater in the dead of winter if you live in the Northeast and you don't want to speed up their metabolisms in winter.Farm Innovations Ice Chaser is excellent floating de-icer.If used in conjunction with a thermo-cube,it will turn on just above freezing 35 degrees and shut off at 45 degrees.This will conserve energy. When the weather hits a steady 50 deg. you can start feeding wheat germ, easily digestable.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: