Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
archivarium???
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Indiaqualover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.21(Sat)3:08    Post subject: archivarium??? Reply with quote

I get to see some of the latest messages in Archivarium 2004? Is'nt it for all the good old discussions?? Question
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.21(Sat)8:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually the entire board database was transferred to the new Archivarium while the old topics in this current board start to get pruned. I'm going to maintain there all the messages posted until last week for a while, for two good reasons: first because this board's search capabilities are not functional at the moment, and second because, contrary to pruning old topics, properly pruning topics that are *newer* than a certain date is not a predicted function of the phpBB board...it'll require the development of specific scripting or mySQL queries in order to be accomplished.

Although the mySQL server problems are far from solved yet (and I must say the hosting service support has been underwhelming to say the least in addressing the issues), one thing has become clear: even with a dedicated server hosting plan we cannot allow the board to inflate indefinitely. So I took the opportunity to implement a topic archiving system on a separate board, which greatly reduces the load on the server created by the current, high-traffic board.

On the bright side, if everything works out this will be the second time in a row that a board crisis can be overcome without loss of the entire database, as we painfully faced several times in the first 5 years of running message boards for the site (before 2003)...

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: