Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Scratching fish/white spots...is it Ich? What to do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Fishlova
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.16(Mon)5:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there everybody,

I'm not sure if this is the right place ... One of my Veil-tail angel fish has started flashing on plants but only on his right-hand side at the front of his face. I've been reading this thread and I've seen it mentioned a few times but with no definative answer. If your fish are flashing will they get ich?

He's been flashing for about 3 days now. Shocked

Tankmates:

6 Gouramis (2 male, 4 female)
1 other angel (unsure of sex)
2 Juv. Geogaphus a. (one male one female)
2 peppered corys
3 albino corys
1 Bristlenose catfish (male)
1 Betta (Female)

Specs:

Planted tank
500L
Heated
Ammonia - 0.0ppm
Nitrite - 0.001ppm
Nitrate - 0.05ppm
pH - 6.7
Tank Age - 4 months

Recently, I had a peppered cory with some really weird blister looking things on his dorsal fin in the tank - I removed him after I saw he was getting pop-eye. I have a recovered female betta - I think she had an intestinal bacteral infection but she was in another tank at the time. And my most favorite fish (male Geogaphus named Fronk) died last week - possibly from high Nitrite (had a really bad nitrite spike last week... maybe because I hadn't changed the water for 10 days or maybe I fed them too much Confused ).

I really don't want to lose another fish. Crying or Very sad

http://au.youtube.com/Fishlova82
merboy
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.26(Mon)9:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally try to avoid using meds in my main tank because they are way too toxic. They exterminate plants and Invertebrates. the latter can be removed yes, but the damage the meds cause to the good bacteria in the filter is almost lethal.Meds are hard to erradicate from the water unless you make significant water changes, which implies starting the cycle again.
I have a 25 gallon tank with 2 baby goldfish, 3 zebra danios, 2 guppies, 2 mollies and a male betta.pH is 7.However a guppy got infested with ich and unfortunately died.Malachite plus did more damage to him than the parasyte, even though I used the correct dosage. My male betta got a few white spots after the guppy died. So I raised the temperate to 86 degrees which weakens and eventually kills the parasytes.Fortunately the goldfish tolerate perfectly this temperature, provided they have heavy aeration for oxygen.
Additionally, I am giving my betta 30 min salt and methylene blue baths in a quarantine tank.He has lost 80% of white spots after 2 treatments.People sometimes argue that Methylene blue is not effective but it is less harmful to the fish than malachite green and formaling and it seems to work for my betta. I will keep the water temperature high for a total of 2 weeks,and I will keep making daily 15/20% water changes to remove free swimming parasytes from the tank.
I just wanted to share my experience with ich, I hope it also works with other people. Smile
Grace
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.04.06(Fri)5:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have honey blue eyes and a couple of days ago I saw my biggest male wiggling and scraping his head/gill area on a stick of driftwood. I have seen most of my blue eyes (honey and pacific) across two tanks do this at some point or another, but the only times I have lost fish are because of compatibility problems, ie, being eaten. Does this mean itch is in my tank? The fish are happy, they recently spawned and I have 4 healthy fry. If itch is in there, should I do anything about it, since it isn't really a problem? Any advice is much appreciated.

As a total aside, since the parasite needs a fish host to reproduce, would removing all the fish in a tank for say, 2 weeks kill all the itch in the tank? I personally have no intention of doing this, but would it have any effect on the itch? (do you spell it "itch" or "ich"?)
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.04.06(Fri)20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehehe, When I read that very first part of your post I thought maybe you were posting an introduction in the wrong forum... (My eyes are brown, hyuk hyuk) I tried to look up honey and pacific blue eyes and my search engine came up with squat... they sound pretty though. Smile

Anyway, I replied to answer your questions, lemme get to it:
It's spelled "ich," and if it's in your tank you definitely need to get rid of it. It eventually weakens and kills fish if allowed to continue untreated. Whether it IS ich or not is hard to tell just from some flashing. There are lots of parasites that can make your fish itchy.

Here's a link to a Fish Disease/Symptoms/Treatments chart I like. There are others out there if you do websearches. Do some careful fish observing for a couple of days and see if there are any other symptoms of note so you can get an accurate diagnosis. Ich is definitely the most common parasite, but you never know.

As for your theory with the empty tank, yes that would starve out any ich in the tank, especially if you bump the temperature in there up to 86 or higher in the meantime. BUT you would have to feed your tank ammonia to keep from starving out your bacteria too, AND if your fish are all alive and kicking, the chances of them carrying ich on their bodies to where ever you move them are almost impossible to defeat so it's kind of moot anyway.
cold rain7
Members

PostPosted: 2008.01.19(Sat)23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pacu is spazing out reeeeeealllly bad and he has it on his gills and I am very concerned, is there still hope for this fish? And he won't stop itching! AHH! WHAT TO DO WHAT TO DO
cappy
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.09.30(Tue)1:46    Post subject: FISH NOT SURVIVING! Reply with quote

Alright I just started out my 10gallon tank with a pictus catfish and a high fin iridescent shark with 2 neon tetras. Everything was going fine until about one week ago when I decided to get a second high fin iridescent shark and 10 feeder fish for them. I only had the fish tank running for 3 weeks and on today my pictus catfish suddenly died and after strangely and one of my high fin sharks died. Thats when I noticed my last shark with small white dots that look like a bunch of air bubbles on him. So I removed everything from the tank. I emptied the water, went to the store and bout 10 1 gallon spring waters, washed the tank, filter, and gravel with hot water. So when I put the shark back in the tank it is STILL acting funny. It looks like it is going to die any second. I don't know what to do I tried everything that I can think of... Anyways I just took him out of the tank and he is swimming in quarantine right now. But does anyone know what to do?!
CAllain
Regulars

PostPosted: 2008.09.30(Tue)3:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cappy, all I can say is take all the fish back to the store, buy some test kits (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH are the basic ones you'd need) and read up about cycling (check the articles section).

A 10g tank is too small for pictus catfish and iridescent sharks, so the only fish you have suitable for your tank are the neon tetras. However, your tank is not cycled, and I know you were only trying to do what's best, but by washing everything with hot water you'll have killed whatever beneficial bacteria you did have, therefore making the situation even worse.
fuwafuwadesune
Members

PostPosted: 2009.03.24(Tue)9:37    Post subject: My fishes have ich I believe. Reply with quote

I just got six new fish and have nothing to quarantine them in besides a few very clean tupperware. I also forgot to quarantine them, as this is only the second batch of fish I've brought home. Anyways, I got three peppered cories and 3 platies. I already had 4 albino bronze cories, 2 otos, and 4 rasboras, one of the cories had ragged fins after about a week of observation before his unfortunate demise. All the rest were fine, so I decided to get new fish. I have a 15 gallon tank, and my rasboras looked lonely, they stuck to one side of the tank and left the other half alone, and the cories had just lost a comrade. Two of the new peppered cories were injured when I got them, which I didn't notice until I got them home because they're so small. both were missing fins, but the rest of their fins were perfect so I think they were probably injured in a fight at the store. They died overnight, so I'm bringing them back and probably getting another platy. I might not though. I tested the water and cleaned the sponge in my filter (I have an aquapod aquarium, it has a sponge, ceramic rings, plastic filter balls, and carbon which I don't use because I have plants), and I have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites, pH is approximately 6.8 according to the test card. My tank has a sand substrate and all natural plants + driftwood, if it matters. Also a fake little pagoda and a fake little bridge from petsmart. I also got all my fish at petsmart, I wish I had some other fish venue near me =__=

Anyways, my reason for posting this all up was to give hopefully adequate information for advice. I noticed this morning (got them yesterday afternoon) that my platys have very sparse, tiny white dots on them, and one of them has a raised white dot above his eye that's larger than the other dots, and just showed up this morning. (I have 2 males and 1 female, I think. I want to get another female for the other male to play with) There's maybe only 20 dots combined, but if it's ich I'd like to treat and prevent as soon as possible. All of my other fish are fine, but as I understand they could become susceptible when the cysts hatch. I added more stress coat upon putting the fish in. I'm not sure if this was the right thing to do, but I wanted to give a little immunity boost. All of the fish, including the 1 remaining peppered cory, are behaving completely normally. The small cory has assimilated himself in the little albino cory group already and is sleeping under things in a cory pile as per usual, the rasboras have started to school with the platies for some reason, but still mostly keep to themselves, and the platies are just frolicking about, not scratching or rubbing, aside from their noses on the glass as they swim around and explore. The otos are also chillin' on the wall as they always do. My platies even tried to mate a couple times last night. I was thinking of starting treatment with salt, but I don't know what that will do to my fish and I don't know much about treating that way, but if that doesn't work I want to treat with ich medication, and I don't know how that will effect my other fish, who are perfectly fine. Any advice? I'd also like to know what brands of ich medication are safe for other fish, filter media, and plants. I also have really fine sand (for the cories), so they might just have sand on them >> but I doubt it. Thank you for your advice =) I would put up pictures, but the water is cloudy right now because I was messing with the filter to clean it. It should be clear in a while, I'll take some pictures then.

[EDIT!] Also the one platy that has the white dot on his eye, I was watching him for about thirty minutes and he looked like he yawned. does that count as gasping? If was only once, and he hasn't since.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Jump to: