Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Scratching fish/white spots...is it Ich? What to do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Bonsai-Mike
Members

PostPosted: 2006.03.16(Thu)17:00    Post subject: possibly ich on my zebra danios? Reply with quote

I have a dwarf gourami, 3 zebra danios, and 1 oto in a 12 gallon eclipse system. ammonia and nitrite are 0, nitrate is 10, pH is 7.0 - 7.1 and temp around 80F.

This is two weeks after a tank swap from a 5 gallon. I used some old gravel and from the 5 gallon and some ceramic rings from the filter into the new filter to help the tank cycle. Ammonia stayed zero and nitrites only rose to .50 and quickly fell to .25 and then to 0 in a week.

Now the zebras are showing signs of ich, or rather some other disease. Theres a white spot on two of them, and one of them has a puffy white lip. The two with the white spot also have a lighter coloring on their top right before their dorsal fins.

Now these guys were only used to cycle the 5 gallon, I planned to replace them with neons or cardinals when I got the 12. Should I ditch the zebras before they infect the gourami or oto?
Jazzsprstr
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.03.19(Sun)15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one fish has it most likely they all have it and it's just a matter of time before it's noticable. I'de heat the temperature up to 86-86 for about 10 days. Or read exactly what Haname says in his article about stopping Ich by using heat in the Articles page.
Mickey Mickey
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.12(Wed)11:37    Post subject: Update: Case of the Ich?...OH NO...13 casualties!!! Reply with quote

29 Gallon Freshwater Tank: Long & Well Planted (Various Aquatic Plant Species)

Water: 50-75% Change Monthly, 10% Water Change per 2 Weeks
Quality: 0.25 Ammonia Detected, 0 Nitrate/Nitrite

Inhabitants:
-20 Tetras (4 Black, 4 Cardinal, 4 Glolite, 4 Lemon, 4 Neon Jumbo)
-6 African Dwarf Frogs (4 Medium, 2 Large)
-2 Albino Catfish
-2 Common Plecos (1 inch)
-15 Ghost Shrimp
-1 Gold Mystery Snail

Hello fellow hobbyists. I just recently became aware that all of my tetras, 20 in all, are starting to develop large white grains, like salt, and are now tending to swim towards the top of the aquarium Sad . I'm pretty sure it's the Ich, but I

"Who ya gonna call?"...

Last edited by Mickey Mickey on 2006.04.15(Sat)16:31; edited 4 times in total
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.04.12(Wed)14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first off - ammonia should be zero, if the tank is cycled I wonder what happened? Were there some dead bodies in there a while? Second - 0 nitrates is weird. You must be dosing something to keep the plants happy - all cycled tanks should have some kind of nitrate reading...
The temp to treat ich will need to go higher - say 85-86. There is an excellent article about treating ich with salt and heat, you better read up on it.

I am not sure about keeping puffers and tetras. I think puffers are really brackish fish - they need lots more salt. That could be why they didn't make it. Or the ammonia killed them...
Be careful with the medicine and your fish, tetras are sensitive as I bet your frog and shrimp are.
I hope you can get your tank under control - you need to get that ammonia down asap with a big water change. (Vacuum the gravel as well to pick up as many parasites as possible.)

Oh, you probably should check out getting a QT tank. A little 10g is only $10. You can get a sponge filter for $5. or so online, then add an airpump to run it. Throw the sponge in your tanks filter box to seed it with good bacteria and you can set it up as needed for new fishes.

Good Luck,
Cathy
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.04.12(Wed)14:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way can nitrate read 0. Please have that tested by your local fish store and post the results.

Nitrate is the final waste product used to measure pollution level in the tank. If its at 0 through other means than water changes then please state that.

From the size of your population, I'd say your nitrate is too high and the stress of overcrowding and pollution is letting the Ick attack.
Mickey Mickey
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.12(Wed)16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not kidding you...nitrate/nitrite level is still 0. I ran 2 more tests, and took 2 tubes of water to Petsmart. Same results...my tank is REALLY planted, so I'm not sure why its's reading 0. Anyhow, does this Ich disease transmit to African Dwarf Frogs, shrimp, catfish, or snails??? Rolling Eyes

"Who ya gonna call?"...
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.04.12(Wed)17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if the ich will transfer to frogs snail and shrimp. But the catfish might have a problem. I'm surprised it didn't show up on him first...
Cathy
P.S. There is something wrong with your tank - do you dose nitrates? I can only think of 2 reasons why they wouldn't show up. First, your tank isn't cycled. Second, your plants use up most of the nitrogen and your test kit doesn't show amounts under 12.5 or so... I don't suppose you have beard algae or blue/green algae problems? (Can be caused by too low nitrates...)
Jason78
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.12(Wed)17:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing I have found to do with ich is to raise the tank temp slowly up to 90 degrees. Keep it there for 9 to 10 days then drop it down to about 87 for another 9 or 10 days. There is a wonderfull article about this way of killing ich in the article section.
BalaShark11
Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.12(Wed)19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

when my fish had ich I used this medication called NOX-ICH and it was gone in like 2-3 days like the label said.

contains malachite green Smile

ASLO - read label about tetras and scaleless and bottom fish - u use half the amount

Bill
Mickey Mickey
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.12(Wed)20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Ich Remover, and have begun the course of treatments. I

"Who ya gonna call?"...
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to: