Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Scratching fish/white spots...is it Ich? What to do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Mickey Mickey
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.15(Sat)16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

13 Tetras Dead...65% killoff Crying or Very sad

"Who ya gonna call?"...
Cricket_Keeper
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.15(Sat)20:46    Post subject: Ick Reply with quote

Two of my fish have ich, and I'm worried that my other two may catch it as well. I've already seperated the two that have it. It's been two days since I spotted the infection and I can only guess at how they got it.

My betta has his own tank, and on the 9th I changed out his water. I put him in the big tank (10g) with the gouramis and there was no sign of ich then. So it must have just started. Also my red gourami has a bacterial infection from the extra food lying on the bottom. I don't think Earl (ropefish) likes the shrimp I got for him........

I've bought Ick Away and looked at various sites on how to treat the infection. As I don't have a sick tank, most of the treatments for the gourami will be in a mason jar. For the betta, I'll just leave him in his tank. My betta is also just laying on the bottom of his tank. It's disheartening to see.
Dusko
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.04.16(Sun)10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Cricket_Keeper, I feel for you and even more for your fish.
It is very hard helping you if you don't give us more info like how big is the tank in question, ammonia/nitrites, Temperature, what kind of fish do you keep, how big are the current fish, pH, hardness, do you have live plants, what kind of substrate you have and so on.
Ick can be treated with commercial medication but its good to know that higher temperature of 30'C can help out a lot. In some cases aquarium salt can be added but not were Catfish is kept. Otos, Shrimp and some other species can't handle the commercial medication... Confused .

But the best way to prevent this to happen is a balanced diet, good water conditions, live plants and compatible fish (no bullying) Very Happy

Ropefish should be kept in large tanks http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_reed.php .
Dead shrimp will pollute the water very very much, take it out and vacuum the gravel and do a 50% water change. Use water conditioner. Very Happy

As I said, more info will help us to help you better.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.23(Sun)0:06    Post subject: oh god please help. I think I have ich.... Reply with quote

my clown loach has what appears to be white spots on him , and is swimming near the surface just like in the ich artical.. what do I do now ?

should I take him out of the tank , and put him in the 1 gallon with no air line to it??
I have to get to the pet store tommarow, and buy the treament,

how will this affect the other fishy's ?

I am replacing all the gravel in a few days to the ecocomplete, but don't want to spread this any futher, before I can get this done , and will doing this help stop the ich??
I am worried about this now.. any help would be great, I don't want to lose another fish.....

OK the only test I have right now is nitrate/nitrite

the nitrate is right at 20ppm
the nitrite is 4.0 ppm
I did a 1/3 water change just today, and was carfull to make sure that the temps matched from the tank , and tap...

aww crap both of the neons have it too.. will the guppies get it also, how long does this take to kill the fish , will they be OK over night??

Last edited by mwparker on 2006.04.23(Sun)0:13; edited 1 time in total
FiftyCalibre
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.04.23(Sun)0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try getting some medication or use the heat treatment.
mwparker
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.23(Sun)0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK here is what I have done , and I am sure I will get reemed for this , but I have removed everything from the tank , excluding the filter, and heater..

I wrapped the filter bio bag in a panty hose , and doubled that over it a few times so it would super screen the water.. its cloudy in there now cause of the gravel removal)

I boiled a handful of gravel , and washed the 1 gallon tank with super hot water (just incase) along with one of the plastic plants that is goin to get thrown away soon for some cover for the fish I put in thereall of them are in the 1 gallon with fresh boiled gravel that was rinsed as well as the plant

I put start right in the 1 gallon with some stress coat, untill I can reach the store to get the ich meds... everything in the 1 gallon will get tossed , but I will super clean the tank when this ordeal is over, and I can resettle the fish in the big tank...

I will also get a gravel vacuum to get the rest of the gravel dust off the bottom of the tank, before I put in the eco-complete..

I also jacked the 10 gallons heater to max to get a high temp in there to hopfully kill the ich ( and the pantyhose should filter out the ich right??? )

now for the questions

I know that high temps will help some bactria grow , will this help or hurt the cycle that was started ?
will this kill the ich in the 10 gallon?
should I also replace the filter after this since that is where the bacteria are supposed to be growing, and will this restart the cycle again???
should I treat the 10 gallon with salt to kill off the remaining ich in there as well.
what should I do about the fish with the ich in the smaller tank , treat them in there while I get things settled in the bigger tank?? before I put them back??
stripes
Members

PostPosted: 2006.04.27(Thu)10:50    Post subject: whats going on with my tank? Reply with quote

sigh... I think I may have introduced ich with my newa angels.. one of the angels has little whilte spots on its body and fins, and my bala shark that I have had for almost a year died at somepoint while I was at school. the water is cloudy, and the fish seem to be gasping for air at the surface. I'm going to buy a test kit right now, if I have enough money leftover after buying parasite medication.. if any one has any ideas about whats up, please help me out. sorry my description is vague, I just noticed the ich, my life has been consumed by work and school for the past few days..
FiftyCalibre
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.05.14(Sun)19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to use Waterlife Protozoin in conjunction with Triple Sulpha tablets? Or will it be too strong?
livebearer
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.05.30(Tue)14:23    Post subject: another case of ich *sigh* Reply with quote

hi everyone, I'm new to this fourm, I see there is a huge section in here on ich . I think just about all of use has had it by now. usually my cases end in a complete wipe out of the whole tank every fish gets it and dies. even if I use meds and aquarium salt, and tep change. well I see signs of my new tank having ich . I seen one white dot on one of my rainbow fish I put him in a tank I was suing as a *small* fry grow out tank. well the one dot had fallen off and he looks good all except he has a white bump on his lip that look like a ich spot but I can't tell. * do ich grow on lips?* I have another rainbow that has it on his top lip. do any of you think finrot is a side effect of ich? cause I have both in my tanks right now . its like if I don't have the ich I have a fish with frayed fins . right now my main tank I am treating with aquarium salt and temp raise, but the med/tank I'm treating with salt,ick clear tabs and rin rot liquid. so far just the fin rots have died. and I havent seen any ich out breaks but my main tanks getting pretty thin on mates with every day a new fish is hospitalized.
mwparker
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.05.30(Tue)17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

what are you water paramiters in both tanks , have you removed the activated carbon from the filters if you use that , did you raise the tempature of the tanks, and keep it raised for atleast two weeks, have you tried melafix (wich is what I have read about for some stuff for sick fish, ) what about a fungus cure or a parasite cure.. how much salt have you used, with raised tempurature was it aquarium salt??

both of the clowns I got for free had massive ich, and the riased temp plus rid-ich worked wonders, along with the salt (a little less then recommended ) keep them comfortable untill healled they bounded right back for it like nothing happened .. it was great getting two clowns for free cause of the ich, and since I was already treating for it they came through like champs, and now I have the 3 of them

I just wish I had a decent camera for taking macro shots of my finned kids...
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to: