Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
FAQ: Scratching fish/white spots...is it Ich? What to do?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.09(Mon)21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ptarmigan,

You may well have the correct diagnosis, but a strain of ich that is not susceptible to the higher temperatures. Ich is like the common cold in the sense that there are many different strains, of different levels of virulence, adaptability and severity. Glad to hear the meds are working for you, and I hope it results in a complete cure. There is another method for situations that do not respond to heat or meds, and that is the transfer method which Diana Walstad tested (See Tropical Fish Hobbyist, April, 2005)

~Haname
coppercore
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.13(Fri)11:26    Post subject: Ick problem Reply with quote

I've read up on the ick articles, but I still don't know exactly what to do. I have a 20 gallon tank that has seven catfish (Aspidoras pauciradiatus to be exact), one glo-light tetra and a common pleco. I think the pleco and the tetras I got had ick when I bought them. I also had four neon tetras, but they all died cause of ick.

I just bought the pleco and the tetras a few days ago. I'm positive they were the ones who were carrying ick.

I have put half the recommended dosage of Wardley Watercare Ick Away in and have done two partial water changes. I have also replaced my filter cartridge with another one without charcoal. I want to get rid of this ick.

At first, my catfish looked fine, but now one of them has the ick spots on him.

My biggest problem is maintaining a high tempature. My heater is kinda messed up, it stays on continuiously when plugged in. I want to try to get it to 86 degrees. The tempature right now is at 72, but I cannot plug the heater in right now since I have to go to work. The water will heat up waaay too fast.

So is there anything I'm forgetting to do, or that I need to do? Will 86 degrees kill my catfish, or will they be OK with it?

Sorry for being scatterbrained, I'm just a good bit worried about my catfish. I've had them for over three years, and it would suck to lose them now (I bred four of them on accident even!). Never again will I buy fish from wal-mart, even if I work there.

--coppercore
Grinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.01.13(Fri)16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

many fish can tolerate the 86 - mine did - I think you really have to figure out a way to get the temp up there.

The Ich can only be treated when it's in the free floating stage (stage 2) and raising the temp will do that!

THUS - the heat is the #1 problem at the moment.
coppercore
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.14(Sat)21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've discovered how fast the heater heats the water up. If it stays on continuiously for an hour, it goes up 2-3F. I don't think a temp change like that will kill them, but I'm kinda being easy about it. Doing frequent water changes, keeping medicine and salt in the tank. I don't' want to overdo the treatments and kill some fish though.
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.01.14(Sat)21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful with salt and catfish, some are sensitive to it. Also with your heater, if it is malfunctioning it can overheat and kill fish that way. It would be worth buying a new one if the catfish are valuable to you.

~Haname
coppercore
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.15(Sun)18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a new heater, and now I'm going to try to get that tempature up. One of my catfish rolled over and floated up when I first put that medicine in. Apparently he didn't like it, and that was at half-dose. I really want to save these catfish. My pleco died today, and I think my last remaining tetra is next.

The catfish have a few white spots on them. It's not too bad yet, but I fear it will be soon if I don't get rid of this ick.

Should I do bigger water changes? I have been doing 25% per day, but I think I'm going to go for 50% per day.

(Update)
I just did a 50% water change, and accidentally brought the water tempature up about four degrees to somewhere around 82F. That was stupid on my part, but I think if I can get my heater to maintain that or raise it up some, it will help with the ick.

I also added another half-dose of Wardley Watercare Ick Away to the tank. That should help kill ick and not risk harming the catfish quite as much.

I also decided to stop adding salt for the sake of my catfish.

Anything else I should do/not do or is there something I'm forgetting?
coppercore
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.16(Mon)16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agh, I can't seem to get the tempature up to 86 with this heater, and the fish are starting to look worse (more spots on them). I really need some help here. Anybody think I might try something else?
Ptarmigan
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.01.19(Thu)14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

update on my whitespot outbreak. Lowered tempreture after seven days but continued with eSHA Exit at half strengtht (10 days total). No sign of whitespot for 8 days now. No adverse effect on my Loaches. Have now got quaratine tank fully kitted for future new inmates. Hopefully prevention is better than cure.

Regards Ken
Faya
Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.08(Wed)5:57    Post subject: Tiny White Specs on Betta Reply with quote

My Betta, who I got 10 days ago, has very tiny white specs on his body and fins. I noticed one on his back yesterday and thought it might be a bubble, but he has 3-4 specs this morning. He acts fine and doesn't appear to be uncomfortable or itchy. Is this the beginning of a disease? He is living in a community tank and I wonder if I should move him to another container until I know what's up. Nobody else in the tank (white clouds, corys and ottos) seems affected.

Water:
78 Deg
Am 0
NI 0
NA 10 (50% water change on Saturday brought it down from 20)
GH 120ppm
KH 80 or 120ppm (two different brands of test strips give conflicting readings!!!!)
pH 7.6 (seems to be holding steady)
paulb
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.02.21(Tue)3:54    Post subject: New starter - Possible White spot - need help on cure Reply with quote

Hi, I am a new starter to Fish keeping and am having so many problems. Have had my tank filtering for around 3-4 weeks and now set up with fish.
I have a problem that I cannot get rid off, White Spot! I have done test (pH - 6.7/6.8, Amonia and Nitrite is 0), I have treated it with number 9 White spot medication and increased temp to 26c, also added half tea spoon of salt. Is there anything else I can do? in total I have 14 Fish and am in fear of loosing them all.
My 1 Barb is the main show of white spot at the min. 6 Neon Tetras, 2 female fighters, 1 Golden Gouramis, 1 Dwarf Gouramis, 1 Cat Fish, 2 Honey Gouramis. I have already lost another Barb to white spot.

Thanks in advance for your help.

paul.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Jump to: