Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Feeding ring?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.06.07(Thu)21:43    Post subject: Feeding ring? Reply with quote

Yeah, I know they're cheap, but I'm too lazy to go alllllll the way to the store to spend only $3. (20 min drive each way) So, any suggestions on making one?

I was thinking about using a clean plastic soda bottle (we have plenty of 2L size) and cutting a 2 cm width ring. I could then use a veggie clip, binder clip, twist tie, something to keep it in place. Any problems with the plastic? I don't see why, since it would only be in there during feeding time. (I think that will be easier than trying to figure out how to keep in there 24-7.)
NeonJulie
Members

PostPosted: 2007.06.11(Mon)9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

My official feeding ring actually floats on styrofoam. If I thought of this idea, I'd think it'd be insane - but it's supposed to be approved for aquarium use...

Have you tried something like airline tubing? You might be able to get aquarium safe glue or silicon and stick it together.

(1) Dwarf Gourami
(7) Neon Tetras
(2) Otos
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.06.11(Mon)15:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up having to go out that direction anyway, so I just bought one. Rolling Eyes

If anyone is willing to try, go for it. I might still try the soda bottle thing to just report on it.
NeonJulie
Members

PostPosted: 2007.06.11(Mon)16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the sodapop idea, but maybe if all the edges were sanded down. My dwarf is really a pig. He throws himself at the feedring if he feels a piece is floating too fast or if one gets kind of stuck to the side of the feed ring. I hope he's not injuring himself.

Also, I um flushed my suction piece down the toilet by accident... so now my floating ring is truly floating, free. It still works great, I just put it against the side and it typically stays around that area. But you could get away with just the sodapop ring without worrying too much about anchoring it. Or you can always fish it back out after the feeding's done.

(1) Dwarf Gourami
(7) Neon Tetras
(2) Otos
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.06.11(Mon)17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I will keep that all in mind. Thanks. Smile
RaiderFan92
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.06.14(Thu)10:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats wierd, I was just thinking of making the same thing. Although, I had almost no idea how to, like you did.
g.rid
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.06.20(Wed)20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made one from air line tubing, a 'T' fitting, and a suction cup.

It's a little tricky getting the air line to stay flat. Usually one edge will curl up or down, then its pretty much useless. The idea is to rest just on the surface, otherwise the food will just float out. The other issue I had, was when the water level changes, I had to mess around with moving the suction cup, then the battle of getting the air line to lay flat starts again.

On the plus side, I had everything already. Also, I could make the ring any size I want. The store bought ones are pretty small.
Sirius
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.06.20(Wed)21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm... I'm sure I should know this, but what, exactly, is a feeding ring used for? I've never heard of such a thing.
Luna
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.06.21(Thu)0:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

G - I bet there is a way to get it flat. Maybe a wider ring?

BRK - From what I have seen/read, it is better for slower fish to have a ring that keeps the food still so they can find it (and not chase it). With my small tank and bio-wheel filter, it moves much too fast. I thought it was worth a try.

I still haven't gotten around to making my soda-bottle ring. I should put that on the list for tomorrow.
Sirius
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.06.21(Thu)6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luna wrote:
BRK - From what I have seen/read, it is better for slower fish to have a ring that keeps the food still so they can find it (and not chase it). With my small tank and bio-wheel filter, it moves much too fast. I thought it was worth a try.

I see. Thanks. Very Happy
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: