Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What can I put in my tank, that I would find in nature?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
JayJay65
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.04.05(Wed)11:06    Post subject: What can I put in my tank, that I would find in nature? Reply with quote

I was told if I soak DEAD wood REALLY good, then I can put it in my tank, (even though I don't know when wood is dead) ... anything else I can?

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=29952
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Maura
Moderators

PostPosted: 2006.04.05(Wed)11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on what kind of wood it is. You don't want pine or some other species, you have to stick with hardwoods like Oak.

If you have a swamp, pond, or stream nearby you can look around for fallen branches etc that are already partially soaked, but then you need to be extremely careful of parasites and any other critters that might be growing or incubating on it.

I have some locally collected bogwood in my tanks from a fallen oak tree I found on my mom's property (it backs up to a swamp). I plunked it right into my tank, not knowing about the risks. Luckily nothing happened with that piece, but you do have to be careful about local collection. You could get anything from a snail infestation to disease, parasites, algae... who knows.

So at least sterilize it by soaking in a bleach solution, and then get rid of the bleach by soaking it in heavily conditioned water. I'll see if I can find the thread that had instructions for this... it was several weeks ago.

EDITS BELOW
OK, here is the thread - the discussion was actually about killing the algae on ornaments but I think the same would work for critters on bogwood.
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=30167&highlight=bleach
Doosharm
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.04.17(Mon)3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put almost anything from nature into your tank if you take the proper precautions. Of course, you'll want to keep the needs of your fish in mind but you can use wood, rocks, plants, and even livestock from nature (assuming it is legal in your state).

Is there anything specific that you wanted to use besides wood?

Dave
keighty7
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.16(Wed)2:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused.
Wouldnt things from a local creek NOT work in a fish tank?
I would have thought the temp change would break down plants etc?
Thats all very interesting!
brian110
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.19(Sat)20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you have a degree in geology, many rocks will really play around with your water chemistry. Wood you should be fine with, as long as you take the precautios already discussed. Plants is a bit of a doozy, and you'll need to ID them and figure out if you can care for them. Sand or gravels from nature are again risky because they can contain minerals and such. By the way, really make sure you steralize everything in your wood.If you collect from nature, you can get a lot more than snails or algae. For example, certain species of beetles lay their eggs in wood.
I would just reccomend buying decor from your lfs. You can find really natural pieces of rock, wood, gravels, and anything else you want. The best thing is that they will be safe for your aquarium, and will not play around with your water chemisty, for the most part
clarky
Members

PostPosted: 2006.08.28(Mon)13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the coolest fossil on holiday, it was quite big and just stunning. I decided after having it on my shelf for a while in my room, that it'd look pretty awesome in my tank. I did a bit of research and just decided it'd be fine. I put it in and all was well for about 2 months untill one week when cleaning out my fish, the fossil crumbled in my hand - Gutted ! This was quite a while ago now, but I thought it was a good idea at the time !
goldenfish
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.09.05(Tue)8:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

O. Scary. I would never use anything from the natural outdoors unless it was a nonporous rock that I could scrub well, boil or treat with potassium permanganate and dechlorinator before introducing it in my aquarium. I don't trust naturally obtained plants or wood at all! There could be all kinds of awful bugs or bacteria living on or in them to make your fish sick. Dr. Foster and Smith have resin natural-looking "wood" ornaments that even have predrilled holes in them to place silk plants in to aquascape one's tank or if you like, real driftwood, although natural wood changes your water's pH level. And some of that is on sale right now. This is just my opinion, but I 'm firm about it, anyway.
Lord Steve0
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.09.15(Fri)16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use rocks for the beach, but everything here is granite so I'm OK there.

Wood is OK if you boil/soak it enough before using it.
Plants I'd say are OK if you have the same ecosystem in your tank, otherwise they will just die out.

I use mozzie larvae I catch to feed my fish. They seem to go down rather well!
tayl0r
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.10.21(Sat)23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some lava rock that I put in my tank
all I did to it was run it under hot water for a few minutes, and to this day it has a java fern growing off of it and all of the fish are fine

I have a question though (don't mean to be a thread jack)
I have some rocks from my backyard that I would like to put into my tank, does anybody know of any way I can decontaminate them or whatever its called to put them into my tank?
Quanito
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.10.22(Sun)19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarky:
what kind of tank do u own? any pics of it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: