Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Pleco's and Goldfish, can the CO2-exist?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
effectivenow
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.18(Wed)11:38    Post subject: Pleco's and Goldfish, can the CO2-exist? Reply with quote

I recently added 2 small plecos to my tank of 4 goldfish. 3 days later I found that my largest lionhead had a pretty damaged tail and he seemed very sick, next day he kicked it. This morning I noticed a large red spot on my fantail, almost like a hicky. The pet-store guy told me that these plecos can live in the same tank, but I'm afraid he's wrong.

Any suggestions or truths for me?
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.18(Wed)14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plecos will sometimes attach on to slower moving fish such as goldfish and discus in order to eat their mucous membrame. I would suggest getting rid of either the goldfish or the plecos. How big is your tank?
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.18(Wed)18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

plecos are tropical fish and not ideal mates for goldfish which need cooler temperatures.

Also some will attack other fish unless well-fed.

~Haname
effectivenow
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.19(Thu)7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I found out that they do like sucking on Goldfish from a friend and the red hickies on man fantails established that. When I got home yesterday I noticed that one of my Pleco's was already sick, so I removed them both and placed them in a another tank alone. A couple of hours later the sick one kicked the bucket. When I woke up this morning the other one was dead.....

Just to be safe I treated my tank for fungus and ich, cleaned the glass with a sponge brush and made a 25% water change. I also learnt that I was cleaning my filter out with tap water which turns out to be a no no, and I wasn't conditioning my water changes properly.

This morning I noticed that my remaining Fantails seemed much more happier and less stressed. I think 3 fantails will be all I keep for my 20gal, and that's even pushing it.

Thanks for the advice,
Marco
AWAK.
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.06.10(Fri)10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hypostomus plecostomus (+/- 6") in with my 2 Redcap Oranda's, 2 Shubunkins and Calico fantail, he does not bother with them. I keep my water at 20 deg's c minimum, as in summer the water temperature can go up to 30 deg C and in winter as low as 15 deg C. Maybe I'm lucky but he was only about 1.5" when I got him.
Poseidon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.06.20(Mon)22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can pretty much have goldfish with only goldfish. They're not many coldwater species.
Fella
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.07.18(Mon)5:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
You can pretty much have goldfish with only goldfish. They're not many coldwater species.

This isn't strictly true, but you do raise a good point.

In my goldie tank I have a pair of chinese hillstream loach. They like colder water, and a fast current, so they can be appropriate in a fish tank. I also plan to buy a pair of dojo/weather loaches also, as they're known to get on with goldies very well. White cloud minnows are often kept with goldies too, but I have no experience of that.

But generally, keep goldies on their own. They're snobs Wink
clfavello
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.08.15(Mon)14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, dojos go fine with goldies, at least my pair does. It is very interesting to watch the two dojos interact with each other as well as the goldfish (I have 3 comets and 2 Shubunkins). I also have a common pleco, and he does fine. The only time I have seen him chase/attatch to a goldfish was when the gold was sick. But as I have fast moving species, you might be more cautios with the slower moving ones...
tom495
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.08.17(Wed)12:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the garra pingi pingi they clean algae and do a good job too they reach a max size of around 16cm.
joelle
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.08.30(Tue)14:33    Post subject: Goldfish in warmer water Reply with quote

When I first started fishkeeping ~4 years ago, I did not know that goldfish needed cold water. I stocked up my tank with a variety of tropical fish and kept the tank at 75 +/- 3 degrees F. The original goldfish lived a great life for 3.5 years before he developed a tumor and died. I now know that goldfish are coldwater fish, but mine do not seem to mind the warmer water. Are fancy goldfish different? I currently have a fancy white/orange fat guy with long fins and a black moor.
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: