Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Board was down...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Forum Index > Site Issues  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Indiaqualover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.21(Sat)19:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the cron daemon if I'm right is associated with a linux based or unix based system. A defunct state in case of a server is something like the living dead. Even though it is up and running it is not good enough to recieve commands from external sources. Thats the reason why these techie people had to step in and restart things. The cron controls the mySQL server. So once your database(mySQL) gets cut off thats the end of it. I hope it is clear. I recalled some of the concepts that I had learnt in college. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Fishkeeper55
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.24(Tue)14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinks Marcos, it is working for me now!
R.I.P. Sean Taylor #21
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.28(Sat)6:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Cron" is a little bit like the Scheduled Tasks in Windows (where you can schedule Windows to do defragmentation, updates, and other tasks). It looks like they made their own new script that checks MySQL to see that it's running, and restart MySQL if it is not running (my guess). They then told Cron to run that script every so often. If their cron program was "frozen" (defunct), then it wasn't checking MySQL or restarting it, (in addition to the other tasks that it is scheduled to do). So in that case, with tech support being unaware of cron's being frozen, then they would have had to restart MySQL manually.

Besides that: If their Cron program was not working, it's possible that the machine had a whole lot of other problems in general, because it wasn't running its routines to maintain itself properly, and MySQL's performance could have been affected by that.

Is MySQL still crashing, though? If it is, then something should still be fixed. Using Cron to check/restart MySQL every hour or so sounds more like a cover-up solution which wouldn't address the real problem.

For what it's worth, I haven't seen any site errors lately. Does the site seem to be okay to everyone else now? Marcos, are you still getting Cpanel errors? It also sounds like Marcos's Cpanel is running on a different instance of MySQL than the MySQL that the database for this site is using, and that both MySQLs were having problems but not simultaneously. For example, the board would still be here but Marcos couldn't simultaneously get into his Cpanel. I'm just guessing on that based upon how it appeared from what I read here.

Laskey
 Forum Index > Site Issues All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: