Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
mini pond
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
invertaman
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)10:57    Post subject: mini pond Reply with quote

I just started a 30 gallon pond. its in a half whiskey barrel. and I have paprys, dwarf catail, elephant ear, unbrella palm, lettuce, hyacinth and parrots feather. there all small of course but I really don't know what kindof fish I should get my daughter really likes koi and shubuinkins but I'm shure my pond is to small any ideas?
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi invertaman,
One thing about whiskey barrels is that they sometimes leach out whiskey for a while so you should check on that (not sure how but it could be fun Wink )
That aside, Koi grow to be too large for a half barrel and probably so to goldfish, particularily long term. A neat idea though would be to have a small school of White cloud mountain minnows. Small, colourful and a unique pond fish. They would look great swimming amongst the plants.
Just a though,
Good luck.
invertaman
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, yah that is a good idea thanks. but what do ya think about misito fish and guppys?
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)20:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi invertaman,
Mosquito fish sound good too, but check around as some places may have regulations re. stocking them. There is some concern about accidental release into the wild. (Perhaps someone else has more knowledge they could share?).
Guppies are tropical and won't do well with the cooler weather or the dips between nite and day temps. They may survive the hot summers in the deep south but you would have to have a plan for the winter months.
Good luck.
honmol

PostPosted: 2005.10.14(Fri)3:35    Post subject: Just My Personal Opinion But I Thought Id Throw In My 2 cent Reply with quote

I am simply stating my opinion. It is limited but may help. I am warning you because the only fish that I am relly familiar with is guppies. I breed them and the fancy guppies are fascinating fish. They do need warmer water though, so it's pbobably not the best idea but these fish are fascinating and excelent is you want to observe breeding habits since every month I get about 40 bouncing baby guppies. They're gorgeous fish so if you are interested in something like that it is my reccomendation
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.10.15(Sat)0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not too sure where in the deep south you happen to be but you if you are in the Southeast you may have Heterandria formosa living in your area. Excellent little fish and works great in outdoor ponds. Gambusia holbrooki or affinis should be native in your area too. A possiblity would be any Fundulus(the best mozzie eaters you can get) around your area. Also any small sunfish such as some Lepomis, Elassoma, or perhaps even Enneacanthus.
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.11.23(Wed)12:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a Chinese Sailfin Sucker, they
TONY60
Members

PostPosted: 2005.11.27(Sun)21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a lady that has mollies in a pond. Would that be of intrest?
Oscer
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2005.11.28(Mon)3:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you live invertaman, because mollies generally need warmer water? But then, in a pond your size you could probably use a heater Smile
TONY60
Members

PostPosted: 2005.11.28(Mon)9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sailfin molly is found in fresh, brackish, and coastal salt water in coastal lowland habitats from North Carolina to Texas and the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico. Prefering marshes, lowland streams, swamps, and estuaries, the sailfin molly is very common in peninsular Florida. Non-indigenous populations are established in the western U.S. and in Hawaii. Sailfin mollies introduced to California have caused a decline in populations of the federally endangered desert pupfish (Cyprinodon macularius).
http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/Gallery/Descript/SailfinMolly/SailfinMolly.html
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: