Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Home from sea and found an aquarium in my house.
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Reply to topic   Post new topic
LewisMW
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.14(Thu)9:07    Post subject: Home from sea and found an aquarium in my house. Reply with quote

First off, greetings to you all, and I look foward to getting to know a bit about your and this hobby we seem to now share. Now a little background, I am in the US Navy and just came home from a six month deployment and found that as a 'coming home' present, my parents and sister got a 20 gallon aquarium for me. So armed with a solid knowledge in water chemistry control(Thanks Uncle Sam) and a few books I picked up last week, I got it all set up, and just added three Buenos Aires Tetras to it, which I was advised are somewhat active, fairly resilient, and have a little color as well. so that is about 6 of 20 inches of fish, as I continue, what is the best rate to add fish at, as the literature I have varies from adding fish in 3 days to a month, about 1/4 to 1/3 of the total fish you want each time? As I'd like to make this last since I can't have my cats in my apartment here.

Thanks,
Mark W. Lewis, MM2
Jimbob
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.04.15(Fri)11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome to the hobby. Its an age old question of how many fish how often and as you have found different reference sources suggest slightly different things. The most important consideration with a new set up is cycling the tank, with or without fish. There are loads of posts on this, if you run a forum search you could spend a week reading them all. If you're up on water chemistry you'll be fine with checking the levels of pH, KH, Gh, ammonia, nitrates and nitrites on a regular basis. The type of filtration, substrate, plants, lights all have an impact on the levels so I guess the best advise you could get is check the levels over a couple of weeks, when they are stable consider what sort of new fish you want to introduce and depending on the size, breed etc add a couple more. You will also find opinion ranges far and wide as to how to caluculate the maximum stocking levels, I could go on and on (my kids beg me not to) have a good read of the posts on the board (it is one of the best online) and enjoy" HTH (a bit) Very Happy
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: