Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Brand new to this hobby.. Please help!!
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ShellZoe
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.10(Sun)13:36    Post subject: Brand new to this hobby.. Please help!! Reply with quote

Hello, I have for years wanted to set up a medium-sized aquarium in my living room however never had the space or money to do so. As a child, I kept goldfish and hermit crabs, but realize now how different this really is.

Nevertheless, I have been researching for some time and have come up with a list of fish I like but still want more information. I am looking into a 30-40gallon tank, as I still do not have super duper amounts of space.

Here is the list of fish I liked out of those I found on this sites gallery information section and the names in brackets are those that the petstore called them:

*Swordtails (Red Wag Swordtail & Neon Swordtail)
*Guppies (Female & Male Fancy Guppies)
*Platy (Gold Twinbar Platy)
*Mollies (Silver Lyretail Molly, Dalmatian Molly, Dalmatian Lyretail Molly & Marble Lyretail Molly)
*Betta
*Dwarf Gourami (Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami & Flame Dwarf Gourami)
*Cherry Barbs
*Gold Barbs
*Zebra Danio
*Harlequin Rasbora
*Angelfish (Dwarf Angelfish)
*Neon Dwarf Rainbowfish
*Golden Apple Snails (pomacea bridgesi not the pomacea canaliculata)
*Threadfin Rainbowfish
*Zebra Oto

Out of these, which would work together and how many of each should I get?

Also, any additional information and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!!

-Shelly
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.04.10(Sun)14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shellzoe, Welcome to the site. Very Happy
Youv'e certainly picked out a colourful mix of fish. I won't go into much detail here but will point out some basics for you to chew on (only my opinion). After that you should probably refine your choices a bit and post in the appropriate fish section.
Of your whole mix the angel seems out of place. The tank is big enough but the rest of the fish are relatively small and angels can get to be quite large. I always find that it makes the tank seem out of balance. They may also eat smaller fish.
Barbs are fin nippers and may damage the elaborate fins of some of your other choices. Someone who loves Barbs (I don't so I'm biased) may be able to advise you of the most peaceful varieties.
The bettas and gourami's can be aggressive so perhaps one male betta and two females or a couple of gourami's but don't put too many together.
Lastly, the top four choices do better in slightly salty water and would make a nice livebearer tank as is (very colourful). The choices under them would also would make a nice tank together.
Good luck! Hope this site helps you to become a fish keeper.
ShellZoe
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.04.10(Sun)20:09    Post subject: Beginner Reply with quote

OK. I did a bit more research and realize I have room for a 50 gallon tank. I am going to a store tomorrow to really look at it to be sure thats what we're going for, but the room is available for such a tank.

[quote]Of your whole mix the angel seems out of place. The tank is big enough but the rest of the fish are relatively small and angels can get to be quite large. I always find that it makes the tank seem out of balance. They may also eat smaller fish. [/quote]

The petstore I stopped in said they had two types of Angel fishes. One of which is the normal larger Angels, while the other was some sort of dwarf angelfish where they only reach sizes of 3 inches on average. Is this something real or are they tricking me?

The other thing was when I was first researching the fish I choose, I was looking into a 20 gallon tank. A friend suggested that I might have the room for more, so now I think I could go with some larger fish. The only thing is I think I would prefere a few more smaller happy fish to less larger impressive at first sight fish.

Again, I am really just starting out and mainly looking into this all before jumping head first.

I'm now set on having a freshwater tank with a variety of fish, so any advice, suggestions or recommendations are great appreciated. [/quote]
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: