Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Any Cory Keepers Out There?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Post new topic

What size tank (Gallons) do you keep your cories in?
0-15
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
16-30
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
31-45
21%
 21%  [ 3 ]
46-70
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
71-85
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
86-100
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
101+
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 14

Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.02.11(Tue)16:13    Post subject: Any Cory Keepers Out There? Reply with quote

How many people here keep and/or breed cories? What types do you keep? What are the tankmates? I just wanted to know.

Very Happy
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.02.11(Tue)16:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I love my cories and I'm happy about my first breeding succes.

I keep in total 21 adult cories.

9 corydoras arcuatus
6 corydoras sterbai
6 corydoras aeneus

Most of the time all of these guys are in my 90 gallon planted tank.

About three weeks ago I began my effort to breed cories. I started with aeneus because they are supposed to be the easiest ones. I put 1 female and 2 males in a bare bottom 10 gallon tank with some wood and some java fern. After they didn't breed for about two weeks I added the remaining three aeneus from the 90 gallon (probably all males). Sure enough, within 24 hours I had about 70 eggs Very Happy.

Of these about 45 hatched in a small bucket with an airstone. Currently I'm feeding them liquifry and microworms and I do 2 50% water changes daily.

If I get these to survive I'll try and breed the sterbai or the arcuatus.

oops, forgot to add: the tank mates are guppies, platies, siamese algae eaters, a pair of dwarf gouramis and 20 rummy nose tetras.
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.02.11(Tue)16:40    Post subject: Panda cories Reply with quote

I have 4 Panda Cories in a planted 29 gallon. One has died and the rest lost their barbels a month after introduction into a stable tank, I still don't know why really.

I have been in discussions about sharp gravel, anoxic substrates, CO2 overdosing, high salts from fertilization, but still don't have any answer that seems fully correct. Currently I have suspended KCl fertilization and daily Excel dosing and things seem better. Adding KNO3 and TMG seems to not be an issue. DIY CO2 is very low rate, but the symptoms seemed like CO2 OD. Might have been Excel OD, I just don't know.

The tank with the Pandas has two Rosy barbs, 6 zebra danios and 2 or more baby danios, and 5 otos. I'm thinking of adding Harlequin rasboras, like you are apparently, but am hesitating until I know that the cories are well and whatever was the problem is solved.

I also have a Skunk Cory and another very handsome cory that was mislabeled at the big pet store, in a 20 gallon with 6 Serpae tetra and 15 Cardinal tetra and 3 otos. His mislabeled companion cories died also, I had 3 of them. If I ever find more of those handsome ones, I'll add several more. I'd like for each of the cories to have some of his own kind.
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.02.11(Tue)19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy thanks for posting! I just realized I forgot to put mine on! Laughing

I have 2 albinos and 2 mislabeled (seems really common in all the lfs) leopards. Apparently, they're brevirostris (sorry for spelling Wink can't for anything ). They're in my 29. They love the cabomba and the river pebble I have. They perch on it and they're adorable (I'm too repetitive, but I can't stress how cute they are) and they love one of my bargain plants which I have no clue what it is (other than healthy lol) But one of my "leopard" cories is very thin and seems sick but I can't tell what's wrong Crying or Very sad He's really bad and he won't eat but everything looks fine (except for being thin and only having 1/2 of all of his barbs) and everyone else is just fine, barbs and everything are huge!! Smile

Poor guy Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Skysong
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.02.11(Tue)19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for double posting, but I couldn't edit my other post. I noticed that you mentioned missing barbs, anona. My unknown cories both lost theirs in my tank, but both have started growing back. 1 is almost done, and they're really healthy, like my albinos, but the others are only about 2 mm long Sad
AngelFishy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.02.12(Wed)15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looooooove cories! They are sooooo cute! They kinda look like little vacuum cleaners with their short, round bodies and their hose-like mouths and how they suck up their food Laughing Mine are all in my 29 gallon community angel tank.

My cories

• One huge spotted/striped cory ~NEW~
  • One tiny skunk cory ~NEW~
  • One bronze cory
  • One albino cory

ophie
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.02.12(Wed)16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep C.metae (these are my biggest, probably full grown; they seem so huge to me!), C. julii, C. Sterbai, C.hastatus (pygmy) and pygmaeus, in different tanks. They are shining tank inhabitants!
Since I couldn't vote for more than one tank, I made up an average Wink
corylover
Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.22(Sat)3:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep my cories in a 25 gallon planted tank with cardinals, kuhli loaches, one clown loach, one very old aymonieri (17 yrs) and rasboras. I have 4 albino, 1 sterbai, 1 schwartzi, 1 metae, 1 arcuatus and 1 trillineatus. Recently I have decided to breed them as one of my albino females has been very productive, laying eggs every 5 to 6 weeks since last october. The fry is now 10 days old and doing very well. I keep them in a small 5 gallon tank, with a sponge filter. I feed them crushed pellets, baby flakes and frozen cyclops and they are growing fast. I change 2/3 of the water every day, and I keep some snails in the tank as well to get rid of the excess food. So far it seems to be working. I have one question, as I do have 4 albino, but every other cory I just have one of each: do they crossbreed? Question
Mario
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.02.22(Sat)8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corylover, as far as I know, most albino cories are corydoras aeneus. So these can definitely crossbreed. However, in the first cross you will most likely only get 'normal' looking cories, since albinoism is recessive.

I am not sure if different cory species can succesfully crossbreed. One definition of the term species is, that two animals belong to a different species if they are no longer able to successfully crossbreed.

In any case, most crossbreeds between different species are infertile and often deformed, so it might not be a good idea.

Good luck with your albinos... mario
corylover
Members

PostPosted: 2003.02.22(Sat)9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mario. As far as I know there are two types of albino cories: the aeneus (which I have) and the paleatus. I wasn't thinking of crossbreeding my albino cories with any other species. But I started wondering about it because a month ago I put one of the female albino with the two males in a small tank to get them to spawn. A few days later I found cory eggs all over the walls of the other big tank, where I had only different species of cories. So, there were only 2 possibilities: the eggs hadn't been fertilized or they were crossbred. As I didn't get the opportunity to isolate the eggs properly, they fungused, so I am still wondering Question
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: