Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Molly-keeper new to the board
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Reply to topic   Post new topic
DJ
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.19(Sat)22:20    Post subject: Molly-keeper new to the board Reply with quote

Hi. I'm DJ and this is my first post.

I've been raising mollies for about 23 years. We started out with a community tank....it's now evolved to the point where we now have only mollies with 4 little corys and one small pleco.

In 23 years, I've seen some interesting things:

1. I was feeding our first female black lyretail worms. I didn't have the spoon close enough, so she hurled herself out of her tank, onto the spoon, collected the worm, and fell back into her tank.

2. The same female was acting lonesome (as I thought), so we put her in the other tank with the gold male. She immediately 'came onto' him rabidly, acting as if she hadn't seen him in years. I've never seen such a thing in any female since.

3. I saw six or seven females change into males (I will comment more on this in the "gay fish" thread).

4. Our black male molly has a beautiful iridescent blue tail. Whether or not it is the result of inbreeding, I don't know.

23 years ago I began with black mollies. Currently, we have several black females and a male; an orange-gold pair, 2 brown (dusty) lyretail females, and a few silver/green small males (they've just begun to develop). Our orange female gave birth two weeks ago to a very healthy fry of 30. Those babies are now in their own 5-gallon tank, acting crazy and funny. They all have different markings: some of 2 light eyes; some have 2 all black eyes; some have one of each; some have black spots on their bodies. I can hardly wait till they grow.

Obviously, I love mollies and I look forward to reading more about them.
MollieLuver
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.22(Tue)6:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello DJ!I love mollies too but I am fairly new to keeping them.I have a marble molly the had a fry of 17! But I think I might be doing something wrong.I only have 2 of the babies left! They were all doing fine but when I looked in the tank,most of them were gone.I have them in a 24g tank without any other fish.I don't know what happened.... Crying or Very sad
DJ
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.23(Wed)16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jessica,

Were they in with the mother? How large is she? Is she large enough she could have simply swallowed them, or are they light enough she could've mistaken them for food?

If they are not in the tank with her, is it possible that they are hiding underneath the gravel, or gotten sucked up into the filter?
MollieLuver
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.24(Thu)6:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have them in with the mother,but there in a smaller part where I put them do that none of my fish could get to them.

The mother is about a inch and a half.Give or take.The babies are still vary small,they are only about 2-3 weeks old.The are getting black and white spots which I know is normal because there mother is a marble molly

In the smaller tank which is inside my bigger tank,they are blocked off from my fish,the filter,and the garvel.There is holes at the bottem of the tank,so that the food they don't eat and droppings and things like that can get in andout.The holes are not too big and the fry can not get in and out from it.

I don't know whats happenig.Am I doing something wrong? I have been feeding them small fry food for a while now,but they seem to eat the crushed fish flake that sometimes get into the bottem of the little tank.Am I feeding them to much?Is there something wrong with the water?Are they sick?
MollieLuver
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.24(Thu)6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

And sorry about the spelling.I should have checked it over before I submited
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: