Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Hi I'm new, this is my tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Tithis
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.12(Sat)10:36    Post subject: Hi I'm new, this is my tank Reply with quote

Hi I'm Tithis.
I've been a fishtank owner for roughly 6 months now.
I have a 10 gallon tank with the following fish

2 Female Long Finned Zebra Danio's
3 Neon Tetra's
1 Baby Pleco

unfortunatly I just lost my Cory, his death was quick and the cause is unknown

I'm not sure exactly what filter it is but its a HOB that came with a kit for a thirty gallon tank. Which keeps my water crystal clear. To get it on I had to cut some of the hood off using a flat head screw driver. (took awhile)

These are my water Parameters

pH: 7.2
Nitrate: 13 ppm (needs a water change today)
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Hardness: Soft
Alkilinity: low to moderate

I thinks that everything I have kits to test for
LunarFlame
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.12(Sat)11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, and welcome!

How long have you had your tank? Did you cycle it? If so, how?

If I could make any suggestion, I would suggest you up your school of tetras to 6. Also, the pleco is likely going to get WAY too big for your tank. Maybe you should take it back and get 2 otocinclus?
I'm not sure if the other fish are good for that size tank., cause I'm pretty new to the hobby too!

I hope you enjoy it here!
Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.12(Sat)12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really Lunar, it all depends on what type of pleco it is. Some of them only grow to 3-5 inches. What type of pleco is it Tithis?
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.12(Sat)12:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Carl wrote:
Not really Lunar, it all depends on what type of pleco it is. Some of them only grow to 3-5 inches. What type of pleco is it Tithis?

Oh yes, I forgot. While there are some pleco's that only get that big, most can get pretty huge, I should have been clearer in saying that it is not the case all of the time, depending on what type of pleco it is Smile
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.12(Sat)14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I know I know about the pleco. I should stop mentioning it so people stop hassling me about it.

I plan to get a 20 gallon in the future so he should be fine as long as he grows with my hobby. Also he is growing relitivly slowly so I have time. I would have gotten Oto's but the store didn't have any, it was the best stocked store in my area. (before it went out of bisiness.)

He does good and everything he can get his mouth on clear of algae. I normaly just feed him a shrimp pellet, and on ocasion a chip of algae wafer. My favorite fish in the tank by far. He's the only one who helps me out.

I fish cycled, I wanted to do a fishless cycle but didn't know where to find ammonia. I used all the fish I currently have and they all came out of it healthy. I had to do a water change every day for a month >_<.

Now I do a 25% water change once a week.

I also did two DIY jobs,
1 Expanded hood for filter
2 Carved hole into pot to make a cave
I'm also cutting a hole into the lighting to make room for a moon light I made. (very dim but light enough so I can watch the fish)

About the neons, I'm not sure how my bioload is I'm not to great at telling whats overstocked, so I try and understock. The Neons seem good enough and stay together most of the time, sometimes seperating to do there own thing for an hour or so. The Zebra do tend to bother them though, and once made it hard for the neons to feed. But the neons learned to toughen up and put up a fight for food. Needless to say they all end up with full bellies.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.03.12(Sat)14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Carl wrote:

Either way would you want to put a 3-5" pleco who produces more waste than the bioload can handle in a 10g tank? It's not just size you have to worry about with these guys. Catfsh as a rule produce much more waste than your average fish.

Personally I wouldn't want to put a 3-5" fish in a 20" long tank. That's just not fair.
LunarFlame
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.12(Sat)14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to seem like I am hassling you. I just wanted to make sure you knew. Smile

You sound like you really know what you're doing though!

I do think that your tank would be fine with 2 more neons, and wouldn't effect the bioload much. You neons will be happier that way too!
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.13(Sun)5:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the growing with the hobby goes, this fish will become stunted and immunosuppressed from being kept in tanks which are far too small. If he is a common pleco, and I assume this as you haven't said otherwise, he is going to be far too big for a 20G too before long. Sad
Tithis
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.03.13(Sun)9:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude I plan to constantly upgrade. The only reason I got a ten was because my parents wouldnt let me get a bigger one. 'cause taking care a small tank would be easier'

I plan to try and upgrade ever 6 months, (Christmas and my birthday are about 6 months apart)
I may end up going to a 30 gallon since Wal-Mart doest have twenties. (for some stupid reason)

What would you have me do anyways, return him. If I did that some moron would buy him. At least I plan to go bigger to help fufill his needs.
(this is the exact reason I need to stop mentioning him)

I'm not completly sure what type he is, he is so young that I can't compare him effectivly to any pictures online.
dale
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.03.13(Sun)21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tithis,
O.K., you know about the pleco Wink Keep your eye out and maybe check out some other fish store if possible. Sometimes you can do trade ins or someone may want a pleco for their bigger tank. You're on the right track anyways Smile
Don't feel bad about the 20 Gal. You will be much happier with a 30 Gal. or more. Bigger tanks make happier fish (and people too).
Welcome aboard
(P.S. I hate to say this but I think 10 Gal. is too small for your danios too; but your 30 Gal. will be a nice step up)
Good luck!
 Forum Index > Introduction to this Community All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: